Premed 101 Forums

Are Hospital Research Projects On-hold?

Hi guys.

I am a med school applicant and am looking to contact some physician-researchers in the Montreal area hospitals for research opportunities ( I have worked with one before, but he does not have any new projects), but I am worried that they might have halted all or most research projects and/or funding for non-urgent research. I was just wondering if anyone here who was involved in medical research before the COVID-19 situation began can update me on the current research scene and if they have faced any setbacks or their projects are still ongoing.

I was apart of a research team in a hospital and all of the research projects we were working on were put on hold back in March. Some projects were only being done at that specific hospital, but most were multi-site and occurring in hospitals across Canada. All of them have been put on hold. It might be a good idea to wait until June/July and see what the situation is like then. 

EDIT: I want to say, I know how awesome it is to be apart of research in the hospital so I can empathize that this probably isn't what you want to hear. It is for your safety and you don't want to be going in and out of the hospital during these times without reason. I know right now they are very careful about who they let into the hospital I worked at and all staff are being asked to do temperature checks before work, show their ID badges at the entrance etc. I was involved with clinical research during the school year too, so it is something you could look forward to in the fall or winter. :) 

20 hours ago, Britesharpie93 said:

I was apart of a research team in a hospital and all of the research projects we were working on were put on hold back in March. Some projects were only being done at that specific hospital, but most were multi-site and occurring in hospitals across Canada. All of them have been put on hold. It might be a good idea to wait until June/July and see what the situation is like then. 

EDIT: I want to say, I know how awesome it is to be apart of research in the hospital so I can empathize that this probably isn't what you want to hear. It is for your safety and you don't want to be going in and out of the hospital during these times without reason. I know right now they are very careful about who they let into the hospital I worked at and all staff are being asked to do temperature checks before work, show their ID badges at the entrance etc. I was involved with clinical research during the school year too, so it is something you could look forward to in the fall or winter. :) 

Thank you for the response. I guess I’ll have to hope they open up the hospitals to research staff in June or July, which I’m not sure will happen... I was thinking maybe there are projects that can get started from home, you know, like the lit review or something of it, but I guess the problem would be finding doctors in mood for new projects right now!