Premed 101 Forums

Computers

Guest medeng

Guest medeng

I am thinking about getting a tablet (probably a convertible actually). Does anybody there use one? How useful is it? And any recommendations of brands/models?

I'm not totally sure about the utility of a tablet, so I am also thinking about getting a powerbook, but am wondering what support is like for macs at Queen's? Do you need to use a lot of specialized software (that may only be windows?), or is it mostly just ppt presentations etc?

Guest seedstrike

No one in my class owns a tablet. Don't know it's utility in a lecture based class.

There are quite a few people who have mac laptops in my class. I'd say around 4 or so people bring them to the lectures. There isn't any software, that I can think off, that would require you to use a PC for medical school. There's this one CD that is recommended called "Microbes in Motion" for the Infectious Diseases Block. I think that may be PC based only (I can't be sure). But it's a recommeneded purchase and not a requriement. I didn't go through it last year and still did okay. That's about the only software I can think of. Rest is just the common stuff that can be found on Macs as well (Word, Powerpoint, web Browser).

Guest nextstopmd

Many people in our class have Mac laptops (both iBooks and Powerbooks) and we (myself included) do just fine. The main reason you'll want a computer in 1st year (in terms of class at least) is simply to read your email, and to download/print/review the class notes. You certainly don't need a laptop in class itself, and most of the people that bring theirs use them to do other work during lecture instead of taking notes. Unless I have other work to do, I generally don't bring my laptop to class.

I will say that it's extremely useful to have a laptop handy when you're studying at the library, because there are always things that you'll need to look up while studying...

A couple people in our class have tablets, but I don't really think they are any more useful for our needs than a normal laptop (PC or Mac).

Archived