Premed 101 Forums

summer break

Guest Tdoc

I was hoping someone could tell me what kind of summer break we get after first year. And is it expected that we do something related to medicine during this time off (internships, relevant work/volunteering)? Thanks.

Guest HSR07

First year ends right before the long weekend in May. Rural week is usually the week after that, where you get placed with a doctor in a small community around Kingston/Ottawa, but that is optional. Alot of people get summer studentships to do research, and there are rotating observerships where you spend each week in a different specialty of your choice, but these are completely optional. Your summer is yours to do whatever you want.

Guest nextstopmd

In terms of the summer, I would recommend doing some clinical stuff, but don't overdo it! The only reason I did any "work" was to try to figure out what areas of medicine appeal to me.

We only have a couple of years with summers off, so take your time and enjoy yourself! Have fun, read, take that trip you've always wanted... There are about 15 weeks off in the summer after 1st year, so you'll have plenty of time to do a variety of things!

nextstopmd

Archived