Premed 101 Forums

finish grad degree?

Guest pazas

Guest shadowguitar

If you applied as a grad student I believe you do (I think you just have to submit your thesis, I don't think it has to be defended before you start). If you applied through the standard undergrad requirements, you do not have to complete the degree. That's just off the top of my head though. Your best bet is to contact the undergrad office.

Guest satsumargirl

A friend of mine applied and was accepted to Queen's after 1 year of grad school.

He was required to come back in the summer after 1st year to finish his MSc. And also this arrangement had to be agreed upon by his supervisor (who was supportive).

So Queen's may be one of very few (I don't know of others) schools that lets you start med school without being done grad school. But I would check and see what conditions go along with it. From my friend's experience it doesn't sound like they just let you bail on your grad degree. But you never know 'til you ask.

Guest coleflower

I just got accepted to Queen's with one year of MSc done, and as far as I know they don't require me to finish. I find it hard to believe that they could enforce the "have to return in the summer rule", would they not give you your MD until you finish grad school? Given the unpredictable nature of research, returning for one summer would also not guarantee that you would finish.

That said, if things go according to plan, I will be finishing up in the summer, I don't like to leave things half done.

Col

Guest pazas

thanks everyone for the information.

coleflower: did you apply as a grad student? and if you did, they still wouldn't have received your grad marks, right?

because it's strange how satsumargirl's friend had to finish it and you don't. but i agree it does seem odd how you would have to finish grad school yet some people can get in after their third year of undergrad...without finishing their degree.

Guest satsumargirl

Hey Pazas,

My friend started med school at Queen's several years ago, so perhaps they have changed certain things since then.

It is possible that is was something that was just worked out with his supervisor (you are after all asking for a letter of reference). I don't know the details but I do know he had to come back. So my advice is to contact the school for details on their specific current policy.

I think the only reason why schools want you to finish grad school is to prevent students from starting grad programs and then leaving before being productive and after your supervisor and program has invested time and $$$ into your training. (and some are grad students within a faculty of medicine...so the programs want to protect themselves)

From posts in other forums, some people strongly think it's unfair. I can see where the programs are coming from though.

Anyway, good luck with Queen's!!!

I'm off to Ottawa this fall :D

Sats

Guest pazas

Thanks, Sats. That helped a lot. Yes, I can see why the schools would want you to finish it. Now I'm thinking that maybe I should just finish it anyway even if I don't have to. But I will contact the schools about their current policy just in case. Actually I'm not even in grad school yet, but I'm just assuming that I will have to do a grad degree before I get into med school.

And congrats with Ottawa! If you're not already, don't become a Senator's fan :P

Archived