Premed 101 Forums

what did it take y'all to get in??

Guest pazas

Guest pazas

what were your gpas and mcat scores as well as volunteer work to get you into queen's? and do you think a high mcat score (38) but a really low gpa balance out (first year 65 and second year 74...but should be able to pull off a high 80/low 90 third year)?

Guest Sunmoonandstar

I got offered admission to Queens this year. I had a similar GPA situation to yours. You'll have to pull up your marks so that at least two of your years average out to the Queens cutoff. I stayed at my undergrad university for five years to make up for my lousy first two years. I had a much lower MCAT than yours, but above the cutoff. As far as volunteer work, I had two years at a mental health centre and a variety of other short term volunteer experiences. If you are asking whether a GPA below the cutoff will be thrown out if you have a high MCAT, the answer is: I doubt it, the cutoffs are firm. Anyone else out there have an opinion on that?

Guest nextstopmd

Yes Sunmoonandstar is right, the cutoffs are definitely firm. If you miss the GPA cutoff, it won't matter if your MCAT is a 45. The reassuring thing is that as long as you can make the cutoff, the marks and MCAT are then not considered anymore, so everything is then based on your interview and application questions.

Cheers,

nextstopmd

Guest pazas

thanks for your replies. i have a bit more hope now. so pretty much you just have to make the cut off for the average of two years (ie 74 + 86 / 2 = 80 ?) and a 3.7 is a 80, correct? and then you're good? what did you think of the queen's interview?? was it difficult? what was it like? typical med school questions?? sorry about all the questions but i'm really really worried at the moment.

Guest lidia

How does Queen's grade the sketch? Is there a correlation between acceptance and how full your sketch is?

Just wondering, cus if they don't grade your 48 items based on quantity, how can they grade them (you dont have much room to explain things)

pazas, be careful. Look up the OMSAS conversion chart. You convert each grade for each class you took to the 4.0 scale, and then average your courses for each year to get a score out of 4.0. You must have 2 years where that average score is greater than the cutoff. So, an 80% average does not necessarily directly convert to a 3.7.

Guest nextstopmd

I could be wrong, but as far as I know, Queen's only uses your sketch as a way to give the interviewers some idea of the kinds of things you've been involved in so they can ask you questions. Each interviewer will have a copy of your sketch with them. It's not about the sheer number of entries, but rather the types of things that you've been involved with. More isn't necessarily better.

nextstopmd

Guest scrubbed

meds.queensu.ca/undergrad...he_cutoffs

The Cutoffs

The cutoffs are based on the applicant pool and so they are subject to change each year.

The academic cut-offs for entrance in September 2005 are:

GPA- 3.66*

MCAT

A minimum of 9 on Biological & Physical Sciences; 9 on Verbal Reasoning and O on the Writing Sample; Sum of 32

Applicants must have made all of the cutoffs in order to be invited for an interview at Queen's.

*The GPA cutoff is based on the cumulative average; that is, all undergraduate courses are included in the calculation of the GPA. If the applicant does not make the GPA cutoff based on their cumulative average, we will consider as an alternative the last two years of undergraduate study.

Your overall is probably below a 3.66. Convert your 74. If it isn't a 3.66, which I don't think it is, then you won't be successful this year.

It seems as if you are on the right track. Do well next year, and that interview will be yours!

Guest seedstrike

Having been a part of the interviewing committee this cycle, let me add that it's the quality and not the quantity of activities on your sketch that matter. That said, of course we want to see a sketch that is of a sizeable length...thus indicating that you were invovled in a fair bit of activitites outside of school.

Archived