Premed 101 Forums

To PDSP and Nams -- choosing!

Guest multifish

Guest multifish

Hey.

PDSP, I didn't email you specifically since Nams wanted in on this.

First off, I don't think you can go wrong with any med school in Canada. They all give you the degree and the experience, and are all reputable. At least, this is what I keep telling myself, but I'm driving myself nuts all the same making a firm decision. I deliberately put off choosing a favourite school until I knew what my options were, so now I'm doing the legwork.

So what I'm doing is looking at the curriculums of the various schools, reviewing my impressions of the schools, and considering pluses and minuses, like do I like the town, how much does it cost to live there, do they allow electives abroad, what is the average age of the students, etc.. So far, this has helped only a little..like PDSP, at this point, I'm pretty much choosing between UWO and UofT. I know both places very well (grew up in London, two degrees in Toronto), I think both programs are excellent (Western giving clerks more autonomy, but UofT has those amazing teaching hospitals and possibly a better faculty, since they've creamed them off everywhere else), and I had positive impressions of both during my interview.

Dunno. Just...dunno.

Guest doctorfunk

Can I sneak in on this discussion?

multifish, I am approaching the situation exactly as you have outlined.. and your opinions seem to mirror mine. It's a tough decision because no school (and its accompanying intangibles) is hands-down better than the others in all areas. Each possesses certain strengths and qualities that I find appealing.

Guest multifish

You know what? Flipping a coin might be the right answer, because..and this sounds really corny, but sometimes it works...after you flip the coin, you may find out that you're relieved (yay, the coin made the choice I secretly wanted) or disappointed (boo, the coin failed me...but now I will rebel against the coin, mwah ha hah!).

Guest Namgalsip

The more I think and analyze, the further I get from making a choice. Like you, multifish, I didn't really want to think about it until I actually got offers. Now thinking isn't doing me any good. I might go with that coin option though....it sounds like a good idea.

Nams

Guest PDSP

Ok,

I hear all of your arguments and I am thinking the same thing. I even went to the trouble of comparing the two schools on a point by point basis, but at the end of it, there was no overall difference. Where one school lacks something, it excels in another area. At this point I'm talking with friends who have experienced one of the two schools. The problem with this approach is that they have not seen the other school and they are necessarily biased towards the school they chose.

So, I've decided to give the coin toss a chance. I'm not saying I'll stick with the results, but it is worth a shot.

So, heads it is Western, tails it is Toronto.

Let's see. The flip ....

Heads it is!! UWO

Multifish, your turn.

Guest Namgalsip

Hey doctorfunk,

I noticed on the UofT forum that you've decided to go with Toronto. Do you mind sharing what swayed you to make that decision?

Thanks.

Nams

Guest multifish

Yeah, that part where I suggested the coin toss might be useful...?

Scratch that.

But I did get heads then tails for 12 tosses total, which has a probability of .025%, which CLEARLY has some kind of significance...oh what IS the coin trying to tell me???!!

Guest UWOMED2005
Heads Western wins, Tails U of T loses.

You have 12 straight coin tosses telling you to come be purple and proud.

I think that's a pretty clear message. ;)

Guest PDSP

UWOMED2005:

I didn't catch that first time around. :eek

PD

Edit: And apparently multifish didn't either. Check out UWOMed2005's quote.

Heads - Western wins

Tails - Western wins

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Guest multifish

Now let's be constructive, kiddies.

"We must move forward, not backward! Upward, not forward! And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!!"

Guest UWOMED2005

Sorry, I meant no harm. Do not punish Western's class (by forsaking them of your presence) due to my ill-advised attempt at humour. :)

Guest doctorfunk
I noticed on the UofT forum that you've decided to go with Toronto. Do you mind sharing what swayed you to make that decision?

I flipped a coin of course! (I actually did - kinda sad) I haven't completely made up my mind, but I think it's just a gut feeling...

Guest doctorfunk

.. and to tell you the truth, my interview at western was sooooo bad that i don't even think i deserve the spot! there must have been some clerical error...:lol

Guest bad hombre

guys, i know how you can decide:

since i've probably been waitlisted at uwo and queen's, the most logical course of action would be to accept u of t, mac, or ottawa so that the waitlist moves along for me :rollin

no? you're not convinced? if it counts for anything i'm a really nice guy and would do the same for fellow forum members

still no? well, atleas it was worth a shot:p

Guest PDSP

Bad Hombre:

What a great idea! That's it, I'll send my "no thank you" letters to Queens and Western tomorrow. Anything for you! :)

PD

Guest peachy

Hey Hombre,

since i've probably been waitlisted at uwo and queen's, the most logical course of action would be to accept u of t, mac, or ottawa so that the waitlist moves along for me
I'm accepting U of T and opening up a spot at Queen's and at UWO .... JUST for you, of course! :P

peachy

Guest Lisa88

PDSP & Peachy, and others kind enough to make up their minds early. Like, Bad Hombre, I'm waitlisted and appreciate it. thanks:)

Guest PDSP

Lisa88:

We are working on it. In speaking with Nams, we seem to be moving towards one school. I figure, my mind will be made up by the end of the week. That will definitely free up spots at other schools. The lists will move soon.

Keepin' my fingers crossed for you.

Sean

• 2 years later...
Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118447940</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>To PDSP and Nams -- choosing!</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Archived