Premed 101 Forums

Course Requirements Questions

Hi everyone,

I had a few questions regarding my eligibility:

1. On their website, it states that the listed required courses must be completed at a B level or higher. For the 6.0 units of biology or physiology, if I completed both courses with 6.0 units each (totalling 12 units of both biology and physiology) and one exceeded the B level minimum while the other did not, will my best 6.0 unit mark count towards this requirement? Additionally, if I completed 6.0 units of organic chemistry divided into two 3.0 unit courses, and one 3.0 course was significantly over a B level mark, will this count towards the 3.0 organic chemistry prerequisite requirement?
  2. I understand that the wGPA is calculated by the last 3 full-time years as an undergraduate student. I have currently completed 5 years of undergraduate studies as a full-time student. However, in the 1st semester of my 1st year, I took 4 courses instead of 5 due to a severe illness. Since this is the only semester in which I did not complete a 5/5 course load, and it is not in my most recent 3 years of undergraduate study, will this affect my eligibility?

Thanks so much for the help! I tried to contact the admissions office and am still waiting for them to return my email

It was my impression that "6 units" means 2 half year courses and 3 units means 1 half year course, at least that's what the OMSAS portal presented it as so if "6 units" means a full year course you choose which one to use, so you use the best one. However, your jumping between 6 and 3 credit courses is somewhat confusing, at my school all of the main undergrad courses are all 3 credits for half-year, 6 for full year. 

For 2. it doesn't matter. They won't even look at it. 

1 minute ago, MedicineLCS said:

It was my impression that "6 units" means 2 half year courses and 3 units means 1 half year course, at least that's what the OMSAS portal presented it as so if "6 units" means a full year course you choose which one to use, so you use the best one. However, your jumping between 6 and 3 credit courses is somewhat confusing, and my school all of the main undergrad courses are all 3 credits. 

For 2. it doesn't matter. They won't even look at it. 

Sorry, I should have explain the credits better. I have 2 half year courses (3.0 each) in biology (totalling 6 units) and one full year course (6.0) in physiology. Both of my biology credits exceed the B minimum, however, my physiology mark falls just below that. Would i be able to choose my two biology credits to fulfil the prerequisite?

Thanks again for your help :)