Premed 101 Forums

What's a good Question to ask the Interviewers?

Guest Zuckman

Guest Zuckman

Hey uOttawa Meds students,

Would do you guys think would be an impressive, intelligent question to ask the interviewers? I'm thinking something about the program but not sure what.

Zucker

Guest everyoneloveschem

Well, we probably shouldn't share our questions, because then why ask, as it wasn't even your own question?

Only ask if you actually want to know. Think of the stuff you have read and see if there was anything more you wanted to know that you couldn't find elsewhere and ask about that.

Guest McGillMed2010

What I'm more worried about is the question of why medicine. Although I have my reasons and motivations for pursuing medicine and have my own answer to this question, I'm worried about answering the follow up question of: why not nursing/pharmacy/etc without accidentally offending the interviewers (in case they are nurses/pharmacists/physical ttherapists/etc...)

Even if they weren't, I wouldn't want to come off sounding like I thought doctors held a superior position out of all the allied health care professionals.

It's a tricky question but be honest and really think about it and hopefully it'll work out

Guest fingerscrossed06

I don't think you have to answer that in a negative way. You can say that all those other positions are great too- but that you just have a passion and interest for medicine. You don't have to have a value judgement of them. Just explain why you love medicine!

Guest Zuckman

Ya,

That's a difficult question. Ultimately, the decision is an encapsulation of many factors and the other professions don't fit that encapsulation as well. Nursing may not provide you with the great oppurtunity to diagnose and determine a treatment plan...although nurse practitioners can do this. Medicine also doesn't close any doors...allows for teaching, clinical medicine, research. Medicine also has an enormous variety of fields in which any personality will fit into at least one niche.

However, I have a friend whose had 4 interviews in the past and she said that they never questioned her on the 'why do u want to be a doc' answer. They simply usually take your word for it.

Zucker

Guest wassabi101

Hey guys,

First of all, don't worry about what to ask as your last question; most people end up asking a question about the program/school/city that helps them compare or substantiate. Make it natural and just ask whatever comes to mind, or not! (some people don't ask final questions, and still get in ;) ) Others use the opportunity to give their final word, like a summary of why they're really interested in coming to Ottawa, or a thank you, hope to hear from you soon, kind of thing.

As for the 'why doctor, why not a nurse etc.?' question, I was also nervous about this question before, but I think it stemmed from my own personal lack of knowledge as to not really knowing how all the health care workers work together for the benefit of one patient. I was also pursuing graduate studies at the time and though the 'why not phd in epidemiology?' would come up. But as I spoke to more and more people before my interview, such as friends who were nurses, or physiotherapists, doctors etc. and I gained a better understanding, I no longer felt that *having to justify chosing one field* made me automatically *have to put down* another field. They all have their own focus really and there is some overlap but every working environment (hospital vs. clinic for example) has worked out who takes on the overlap. Otherwise, I believe they're all quite unique and much needed fields.

In any case, I wouldn't worry. I doubt that would be a common question and for the most part, you can usually guide your answers to the questions you'd like to have....like:

Q: 'So why do you want to be a doctor?'

A: 'Well during undergrad I did some research ......with this doctor...and blah blah blah...?'

Q: 'Tell me about your research?'

A: 'Well I did this and that, and it was great, because I really got to develop skills in x and x'

Q:'Can you give an example of when you demonstrated using team work skills?'

A: 'Oh well that would have to be when I was on the x team ....'

Q: 'What else do you do for fun?'

etc. etc. see how one question's answer leads to another question...you can almost anticipate what you'd like to talk about and find a way to get that message about you across.

Know your sketch well. But most importantly, know what your message is! It all goes by so quickly that you'll feel better having covered the essentials about you than preparing for individual questions.

Good luck guys!

Cheers,

wassabi

Archived