Premed 101 Forums

Is it necessary to have a car in London

Guest PDSP

Guest PARTY cal

Hey Timmy,

Thanks a lot for the info. Yes I have an undergrad degree...and yes sort of single.... so I will try the Monnex one.

Guest aneliz

Having a car valued at 18 000 will KILL your OSAP funding...period.

Here is the way it works:

1. You are allowed to have a car valued up to $5000

2. Because the car is basically a requirement for a med student, you can get a waiver signed by UWO stating this and this will increase your allowed car value up to $10 000.

3. Any amount over that will be taken, dollar for dollar off of your loan...

Meaning...if the car is worth 18000, you are allowed 10 000, so the excess value (or in OSAP's mind, liquidatable asset) is 8000. So, if you would have been entitled to get 10 000 in OSAP (the maximum), you would then receive 10 000 - the value of the asset (8000) = 2000 in OSAP.

You can put the car in somebody else's name...(ownership) and leave yourself as the primary driver. OSAP only looks to see if you OWN (or lease) the car...not if you are a principal driver....so, as long as the ownership is in somebody else's name (parent, sibling, significant other, etc), you can still be listed as the principal driver for insurance purposes.

Problem solved!

Guest lcloh

Keep in mind that the maximum OSAP (10,000) is also reduced if you are still within 5 years of your high school - i.e. your maximum is reduced 2000 to 8,000. If you have an 18,000 car, therefore, you will get nil in OSAP.

Guest 8York

Does this mean a car is MANDATORY (and not just for convenience, etc) because of school-related activities once you get to 3rd year (or is it 2nd year)? Do you know of anyone who survived without one? Thanks.

Guest therealcrackers

There are a couple of people who have survived without one... their rural placement (you have to do at least 4 weeks in a rural setting over the course of clerkship) was in their hometown, and the rest of the time it was walking, bus, and a bicycle. Not necessarily the best way to go about it if there's another harsh winter or blazing hot summer in London (no bus pass paid for May thru August, you have to get it yourself) like last year, but it can be done...

However, few people are going to have that kind of opportunity for their rural placement. The alternative is to get a short-term car lease/longer-term rental for any placements outside London===and that has been done too.

Guest UWOMED2005

The subject came up with one of the 2002s and they mentioned that roughly about 5 (out of 96) people tried to do it all without a car. You'd have to do some mighty fine juggling acts, probably making sure most of your rotations were at St. Joe's and UH (no guarantee) and that you had a friend doing the same rural rotation as you and was willing to drive. Or, you could rent a car for 6 weeks for the latter.

Guest lcloh

it really does make sense to get a car in third year, because come fourth year you'll be doing electives all across the country (and province.) for me, let's say I plan on doing electives in Toronto, Ottawa, and maybe Vancouver, then i'd fly out to Van (obviously not drive) but Toronto and Ottawa would be a car ride away. They'd also be a car ride home. You're going to need a car at some point in your life (it'll become even more crucial in residency I suspect), so third year is probably an ideal time to get one. Or you could try to live your life without a car, but I suspect even in fourth year you might need to cave and get one.

The thing is also that if you buy a car in third year, it's good for the next 6-7 years (depending on how you care for it and how many klicks are on it when you get it) whereas each time you take the bus and stuff, or buy a bus pass, or have your bike stolen, etc, then that's more money sunk into things that are nonpermanent. Eventually it adds up...

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Having your own personal jet helps as well. I'm planning on doing electives in Alaska, Burkina Faso and the Disputed Zone, and boy is that jet going to come in handy! It'll also help with all the CaRMS interviews I'm going to have across the country...;)

Timmy

Guest PDSP

Why stop at a jet? I mean, one could serve both purposes - getting around London and getting to electives, with a nice high-speed helicopter. Hey, most hospitals have heliports!

PD

Guest lcloh

I think a cost benefit analysis comes into play here... sure, you might have a nice jet and all, but that's likely ALL you'll have. No money for house and home? No money for food? Oh dear. TimmyMax, how are you going to live without foooooood? :)

Guest TimmyMax

Food's overrated. Riding in style is where it's at!

The jet will offer in-flight meals (and movies) anyway (at least mine will), so I'll have that one covered! :)

Archived