Premed 101 Forums

bad interview

Guest needs reassurance

Guest UWOMED2005

Ditto. What's with Ottawa not being able to get past the Leafs? Means I always inevitably have to cheer for the Leafs during the playoffs, one round after booing them. . .

And on another note, I've sworn never to watch Hockey again if Carolina makes it to the Stanley Cup. Seriously - did anyone notice that most of the advertisement spots in Carolina rink were for businesses that operate in Quebec? Apparently a bunch of Quebec businesses thought the ad space would be more useful to them via CBC coverage than to Carolina business, considering the fact "Carolina Hockey Fan" is kind of an oxymoron. The Leafs aren't just playing for the chance to get to the Stanley Cup. . . they're now playing for my Hockey Soul!

And on a more pertinent note. . . yep, I wasn't that impressed with my interview either. It's easy to pick random moments from the interview and dwell on them, thinking you didn't impress the adcom. It's not about overly impressing them and getting everything "right" - it's about showing your a caring human being who would do well in an interview situation with a patient.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Little Brown Kid

To make you feel a bit better (whoever started this thread) I fell asleep in my interview...well...close..I was really sick that day...it was horrible. I was tripping over my words, and my answers were seemingly terrible.....but I think it was my confidence in the end (and not making up excuses about the state of my health) that ended up getting me in. You have to remember that it's not necessarily the content of your answers that impresses the interviewers, but the way you actually say it.

Guest UWOMED2005

Just goes to show that you too can go from someone doubting their interview experience to the role of 'el presidente,' eh Numos? ('Little Brown Kid's' alter-ego)

Funny, I'd agree with Numos that it's more important 'how you said' the stuff in your interview than the exact details of what you said (so don't stress out about how you answered the second half of the third question. . . it was probably 2 minutes out of a 45 minute interview!) Yet I remember classmates of ours telling applicants the exact opposite - that what you said was more important than how you said it! Just goes to show that those of us in the 2005 class aren't entirely positive why we got chosen for this year's class.

That being said, a lot can be said for composure. I think the committees are trying to get a sense of how you'd conduct yourself in a patient interview, and how you compose yourself is pretty key.

Archived