Premed 101 Forums

ANY 3RD YEAR INVITEES????

Guest mcatsucks

Guest mcatsucks

Are there any or do you know anyone in 3rd year English that got an interview. What a waste of $$$ and money if they had no intentions of giving any 3rd years interviews???????

I do not think anybody should be admitted without an undergraduate degree. How much do you know when you are 20 years old (average of a 3rd year student)? I am not saying I know everything under the sun; I can say there is a world of difference between where I was in 3rd year and where I am now. Frankly, I wanted to attend medical school in 3rd year but I know now that waiting a few years will only serve me better in the future. The MCAT and GPA are only used to factor in how you will handle the first 2 years of medical school. The 3rd and 4th years are spent mostly in a hospital and hopefully you will apply what you learned in the first 2 years of medical school.

What good is the MCAT? Personally, I find that too much is placed in that standarized test. But something is needed to weed out the candidates because no school has the resources to fully consider all applications. I do think the VR section is important and its why McMaster went from not considering the MCAT at all to considering only the VR section for the class of 2008 (after the MCAT goes to computer based).

The hardest part about getting into medical school is getting in, not the workload involved. Medicine is still an undergraduate degree, with merely more work. You don't have to write a thesis and prepare publications or do any research. That IMHO is where the true test of a someones academic ability comes into affect.

Anyways, the point of my post is that you should wait until you finish your degree and do not be surprised if you don't get an interview without a Bachelor's degree.

Ouch! I'm gonna try not to take that personally.

While I agree with you that maturity should play a big part in who gets admitted, I totally disagree with you that maturity=age. I know 20 year olds that are more mature than 25 year olds, and of course a lot more 25 year olds that are more mature than 20 year olds!

You're right in that the MCAT/GPA are good predictors of Stage I success, but they also play a minimal role in admissions at Ottawa. After you get past the cutoff it's entirely upto your sketch and after that your interview, and I think that's where most 3rd year applicants are getting cut out. Truth is that most degree/advanced degree students have more life experience than MOST 3rd year applicants, but there are a few out there that have done some outstanding stuff that I would take over a grad student and I'd take over myself!

I didn't mean it to sound harsh. In general, when you say that you know a lot of 20 year olds that are more mature than some 25 year olds, this may be true in some cases, but these 25 year olds are not applying to medical school. I agree that age is not always a reflection of maturity, but in the case of medical school applicants, they are presumed to be the best and in this case I think that maturity and age go hand in hand.

I do not think anybody should be admitted without an undergraduate degree. How much do you know when you are 20 years old (average of a 3rd year student)?
Regardless of whether one thinks that a degree should be earned or not, age isn't a very good argument. You're not comparing 25-year-olds to 20-year-olds, you are comparing people who did 4 years of undergrad to those who did 3 yeares. On average, they're only going to be a year older! I really doubt that you see a big maturity difference based on one year of age. And, of course, lots of people who did 3 years will be the same age (or even older!) than those who did 4 years.

A better argument would be based on what one learns in an honours degree. Imho, fourth-year courses (including a project/thesis, etc) are often much more challenging and require different skills than third-year and earlier courses.

You are saying, Paul, that you know so much more now than at 20. In three years, you'll be saying you know so much then than you do now. And three years from then, you'll know so much more than the years preceeding. Such is growing up.

Why have you drawn the line between 20 and 21?

It took me a few minutes to read that post about Paul and understand what you are saying. I was wondering what you meant about drawing the line between 20 and 21. Why did I pick 20 or 21 as the magic number? Why are people so much different at 25? They are different because when you get your degree, you either go out and work or do more school, which usually involves graduate work. The work experience may not be working a high end job, but at least you know what its like not to be taking 10 classes a year for 4 years; and in the summer trying to make half of what tuition costs. Why is graduate work beneficial? Well, depending on the discipline, the work is mostly independent and your supervisor is only there to guide you. That may not seem like much, but you really learn alot about yourself and what you can/cannot do.

peachy, when I made that comment about undergrad degree, I did not mean to imply that someone who is 21 years old with an undergrad is much better than a 20 year old in 3rd year. You are right, 1 year is completely irrelevant at that point. I meant to imply that an undergrad should be the very minimum someone has.

heho, I haven't really addressed your response, I must admit I am at a loss for words. I am not attacking the fact someone is 20 or 21 years old and wants to go to medical school. Am I equating age with "knowledge" and "experience"? It seems like such a cliche doesn't it. I guess it depends on what you have done with your 20 or 21 years of life. Someone could have travelled around the world, taught english in Korea, volunteered with the Red Cross, etc. and gained certain experiences I would never have.

Guest wassabi101

You know in medical schools across Quebec, classes of 150 students are mostly made up of 18-19 yr olds who have come straight out of CEGEP (Quebec's version of college- 2 years after grade 11)....

Food for thought...

Cheers,

wassabi

Guest mcatsucks

I thought that it is unethical to discriminate....isnt this discriminating ie 3rd yr vs 4th yr. I think that Ottawa is discriminating on the basis of age....What about uoft...??How are they going to deal with 3rd yrs.. Also is Ottawa distinguishing between "grade12" 3rd yrs and "OAC" 3rd years...remember it is the double cohort!!!!!!!

Guest Yangzie

what's with all this rush getting into med? wow, 20 yrs old...got entire life ahead of you, and you're that upset that you didn't get an invite?

I'm 20 and i'd like to think that an extra year here and there won't dramatically influence your well-being in the long run. (correct me if i'm wrong here)

keep an open mind. if you've got the abilities, you'll naturally make it. as long as you put effort in, don't fret over wat isn't for you to control (i.e. admission committee evaluating your file and random luck).

while it is easy/tempting/natural to have your eyes on the destination, try to also enjoy the journey as well!

Also, comparing maturity across different people between ages of 20-25 is nothing more than mere speculation. level of maturity is relative--all you can really say is that as one individual ages he/she will be more mature.

and yes, ottawa does take 3rd years. i know many who got invites in 3rd year.

Guest Mercenary17

I admit that I'm impressed with the change in myself that I see with each passing year, but I feel that I'm ready for medical school after my 3 years and will only be spurred to further develop and deepen my knowledge and character in a medical school rather than undergraduate science setting. I disagree that 4th year applicants are inherently more qualified by virtue of that extra year of curriculum. I think experiences and maturity level definitely vary widely and year status in university should not impact selection, although that seems to be the case at Ottawa... Their loss! Hopefully they're looking at activities and experiences that might be more rich among 4th year applicants, but it hurts to have someone say you're not good enough despite your amazing experiences and see a relatively equally qualified 4th year get an interview.

Good luck 3rd years!!!!! I think 20 year olds are ready for meds!

I thought that it is unethical to discriminate....isnt this discriminating ie 3rd yr vs 4th yr. I think that Ottawa is discriminating on the basis of age....What about uoft...??How are they going to deal with 3rd yrs.. Also is Ottawa distinguishing between "grade12" 3rd yrs and "OAC" 3rd years...remember it is the double cohort!!!!!!!

Umm, the whole process of admissions is discriminating between the more qualified and the less qualified applicants. I doubt that any schools that accept applications from 3rd years would disregard them solely based on the fact that they are in 3rd year. If that were the case, then they would just save themselves the time and require that applicants be in at least 4th year.

You need to chill. You still have plenty of opportunities to get into medicine!

Guest MrNeuroscience

I certainly will not advocate that 4th years are in any way better than 3rd years... However, I will advocate that "one more year" can make a difference...

Furthermore, and maybe some people are forgetting this... If you are a 3rd year (presumably of a 4 year degree), then why do you not want to finish your degree? If you have put 3 years of hard work into something then why do you not want to see it through to fruition? You might as well spend one more year gathering more life experience... and a degree of course! However, If you are a third year that only took an undergrad course to get into medicine, and take nothing else away from it... then I do feel feel as though you have missed out, and are maybe not as prepared for meds as you may think.

Nothing is ever a means to an end... certainly not something that has already taken 3 years of your academic life.

Simply enjoy what you do, and why you are doing it.

Guest mcatsucks

The point that you are missing is not about the studies or preparedness, but just to be treated fairly and equally based on all the factors that the schools are looking for ie.GPA, sketch etc. If they required 4 yrs,as next year, case closed. But since everyone with the prereqs qualify, why is there this discrimination going on???

Guest MrNeuroscience

I really do not think it is discrimination in any way shape or form. There is no conspiracy in Canada to keep third years out of medical school. 4th year students have a degree (or will have a degree by admissions) Masters and PhD students are taken under special consideration because they have more than one degree... but you are not calling that unjust or discriminatory.

I know of a few individuals that have gotten in to meds after three years, but by and large it is only during your third year that you complain and throw the flags in the air, not many individuals that are let in after 4th year would say "I'm the exact same person as I was last year, that was discrimination..."

Guest DancingDoc

To all of you that are feeling disappointed in 3rd year right now:

I know it sucks. Last year I randomly decided to apply to calgary and Dal (Which are weird chocies especially since Dal extremely rarely takes third years b/c they require a degree). Of course I didn't get in, i didn't expect to either but I know I REALLY REALLY wanted to. Honestly now that a year has gone by and I'm applying again, I'm glad I didn't get in because I did mature a lot in a year. The amount you get from another year higher of education is a lot and I don't believe anyone who says you don't grow a lot at this stage in your life wtihin a one year span. You do. I know I also grew a lot as a person. Looking back I was not ready for med school as much as I wanted to be and believed I was, but seeing how ready I am mentally and academincally now makes me know I should be going to medical school now, not a year a ago. I'm sure I would have done fine had I gotten in, but there would have been some life and academic experience I would have been missing. Anyway just my two cents of experience. Good luck on the rest of your applications, and don't get discouraged in third year (I know easier said than done) you have another year to fall back which is the best part about applying then and not getting. (In fourth year it sucks because you have NO CLUE what going to happen to your life next year, lol.) Anyway I'm sure Ottawa ans many other schools don't take as many third years for that reason that they know the extra year will make you that much better than you already are ;)

mcatsucks, you use the word discrimination way too loosely. Any medical school would be discriminating against you if they were making decisions based on race, gender, minorities, religion, etc., not the fact you are in 3rd year. Finish your degree and then think about applying again. Why wouldn't they accept someone with a degree over someone that doesn't? Its one more big qualification they have that you don't. Be glad they even look at 3rd year applications; I will guarantee you of the 126 schools in the US and 17 in Canada, the vast majority of them require an undergraduate degree. Of the 17 in Canada, the 3-4 schools in Quebec (not counting McGill) may be the exception because they use CEGEP.

The bottom line is you have to be an absolutely oustanding candidate to apply in 3rd year. So unless your MCAT is > 35 and you have a great assortment of activities, you probably won't get an interview anywhere. As someone else said before and what it says in Ottawa's admission guide: since the MCAT is not required, the applicants academic record will be look at much more rigorously.

Archived