Premed 101 Forums

Two best years!

Guest chriskim23

Guest chriskim23

I was wondering whether UWO was the only school that considers the two best years with one year being complete and the other in progess during the admission process and interviews? With the latter year being reviewed after the year is finished!

Thanks,

chriskim23

I have no idea if there are any other schools that do this...but I know that none of the other Ontario schools use this system. For Western they use your BEST full time undergraduate year in which you completed five or more full courses between Sept and April. For purposes of getting an interview, it doesn't matter how high your GPA is in that year, just that it is over the cut-off. Your GPA from your best year is then worth 25% of your total application score (at least this is the system that has been used in the past!). You then also need to have a GPA over the cut-off in your last year. (And again, this year must be a full time (5 course) year that was completed between Sept and April). Your last year can be the last year that you did (ie last year of your degree and already done when you apply OR the year that you are currently doing). This system is beneficial to people that have had some good years and some bad years because the not so great years simply disappear! This system is a pain in the a$$ for people that have taken less than a full course load or have taken non-Sept to April years (ie people in co-op programs). Sometimes they only have one year that satisfies UWO's conditions. It is also fairly frustrating for people that get an offer based on their best year but then are disqualified by their 'final year GPA'. This is a strict cut-off, so if the cut is 3.65 and you have a 3.64....its game over......

Guest kosmo14

University of Saskatchewan only takes into consideration your two best years. For out of province residents the two years must be completed prior to application, and you must have at least an 80% average in those two years in order to apply.

Archived