Premed 101 Forums

New criteria for 2003??

Guest Asystole

Guest Asystole

I have heard some rumours that the MCAT cut-off is changing for next year. Specifically that your scores will have to add to 27 or 30 or something. Can anyone confirm this. I guess they will be publishing next year's requirements soon anyway but I was hoping someone would know now.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

No idea about the MCAT requirements, but they change pretty much every year as it is (along with the cutoff GPA) to pare the applicant pool down to about 400 applicants. The cutoffs were posted for this past year (Sept 2002 admission) in December or January 2002 if I remember correctly. Since they usually don't change too drastically from year to year, if you have made the cutoffs for last year, you'll generally be in decent shape for next year.

Note that the non-science prereqs for 2003 admission have changed from those required for 2002 admission. These changes are now on the UWO website. Check them out early so you can plan accordingly.

Best of luck!

Tim

Guest UWOMED2005

Timmymax is right, they set the GPA/MCAT each year based on the applicant pool to try and interview about 400 applicants. . . though next year they might increase the number they want to interview (the class of 2007 is going to be 148 or 149)

Also, I believe the rest 2003 admissions info is already online. They put it up early for some reason: www.med.uwo.ca/ADMISS/admiss.htm

Guest MDPlease

Hi there,

TO UWOMED2005, I am applying to medicine this October and Western is one of my top two choices... is the class size for the class of 2007 going to be 148-149 for sure or is this not confirmed as of yet? I just wanted to know becase the more spots the better!! Thanks

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, I'm pretty sure 148 or 149 (I think 148; 133+ 15, meaning the # has gone up 15 each year for 3 years) is confirmed for the 2007 class. If you have any questions about admissions, feel free to post them!

Guest Asystole

I know the cut-offs fluctuate somewhat from year to year depending upon the applicant pool. The reason that I thought the rumour (that they might change them drastically for next year) was plausible is because UWO seems to be at a phase where they are experimenting with their admissions requirements and because they had that ..."unique" system last year with WS and VR combination which they had to abandon midway through the application cycle. That system places alot of emphasis on the writing sample which is, in my opinion, undeserved.

Guest UWOMED2005

That combined score thing was actually last year's criteria (ie for our class, the 2005s). It was pretty confusing to explain!

They'll set the cutoffs in late January. . . last year, I think they were posted on the website Jan 25.

Archived