Premed 101 Forums

Hep B Immunization

Guest dr funk

Guest dr funk

Did anyone else find they had no immunity to Hep B when they did their titre? I had my complete triplet of Hep B done in 1996/1997 but it shows now I have no immunity. Is it okay to just get a booster, or get the entire set over again? And I hear that 10% of the pop'n can't get immune to Hep B? Lotsa questions.. i remember reading on this board that someone (UWOMED2005??) had to get Hep B done over again at the time of registration due to a low Hep B titre?

I have a friend going to U of T next year who had the same problem.... I believe (don't quote me on this) she had to get all the shots again.

On my sheet, it just said to get the MD to sign if you had received your shots. I'm thinking I should go and get my blood work done to be sure....

Guest therealcrackers

They'll ask for a titre! So if yours isn't sufficient, you will have to get the shots done again. The clinics are free for med students, tho, and you likely wouldn't be the only one. With the new protocol, you need one in Sept, one in Oct, and one in Nov.

Guest UWOMED2005

That's actually a fairly common problem. . . I think there's a few people in our class who had the same thing happen. Try asking around during O-week about a solution - the Hep B shots don't begin until later in September.

Guest dr funk

So what you guys are saying is that a booster isn't sufficient? I think i read in the orientation package somewhere that if you don't have immunity after the initial triplet, its highly recommended to get a booster (single shot) and recheck the titre. If my titre isn't high enough at this point, is this when i get my triplet again?

Guest UWOMED2005

Honest Answer - I'm not sure. I think my classmate in question just got one booster, but I'm not sure at all. Wait until O-week.

You can also check the http://www.mni.uwo.ca/discus forum - I think this has been addressed there but I can't remember what thread, and it might have been archived.

Guest aneliz

Somewhat different question but still related:

For the immunization, TB test and recent medical stuff, we just need to get our doctor to sign a letter saying that everything has been done, right? UWO doesn't have any official form that has to be signed by our doctor? I'm asking because I haven't seen any form like that but I know that UofT has one.... Still paranoid that I might be missing something!

Guest UWOMED2005

No, just get the Doctor to write a note. I believe that should suffice - but it's a little more official to get a (Ontario) Vaccination card filled out. I think some of my classmates JUST got the note. . . I think one or two people didn't even really have the tests done (not exactly role models, eh?) On the other end of the spectrum, the doc I went to did a whole slew of tests - EKGs, chemistry, CBC, hell he even tested me for syphilis for some unknown reason (that test was negative, BTW :) ). Even cooler was the fact he gave me all the tests results. . . which was great, because I had no clue as to what 90% of them meant, having not even started first year. Still, it was cool to feel like I was "in" and could get access to such information.

To make a long winded post short, there's no official form.

Guest aneliz

Excellent. Just checking because I FINALLY have an appointment on Fri and I want to make sure that I have everything that I need. This is the fourth appointment that I have booked and hopefully it won't get cancelled on me like the previous three.... time is running out! You wouldn't think that it would be such an ordeal to get a doctor's appointment...but it seems to be. Welcome to an officially underserviced community!

Guest hmsdread

Hey guys,

I'm in the same situation. I had my HepB titre checked a few months ago, and sure enough no immunity was detected. My doctor decided to give me the entire series again, and I've already had the first two. I wonder what would happen if, after this second series, my titre is still too low. Given that supposedly 10% of the population won't convert, there must be a bunch of health care workers running around without HepB immunity - not much different than having no AIDS immunity, I suppose.

Guest monkey

dumb Q ....but you HAVE to show titre value for HepB? cant you just ask the doc to write a note saying: "you got hepB vaccination in 19--" ??

Guest Ian Wong

At the end of the day, if you get a needle-stick on the wards (and several of my classmates have), it'll only be your neck on the line if you didn't check that you had high titres upon entry. Hep B is NOT something to be messed around with, especially if you can avoid it by immunizing.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived