Premed 101 Forums

Best Year

Guest bad hombre

Guest bad hombre

Aneliz,

Hey, you mentioned in the general forum that your last year doesn't necessarilyy need to make the cutoff anymore. My question is, are they still only using the one best year for the 25% GPA weighting, or are they taking any other years into account? THanks.

Happy Holidays:D

You still need to have TWO full years that are over the cut-off...same as before....except now one of those two years does not necessarily have to be your last year. (So, if your 2nd and 3rd year are above the cut and you haven't finished 4th year yet, your 4th year can no longer torpedo your application like it could in the past!) As for how this will factor into the 25% GPA weighting, I have no clue. Realistically, the 25% GPA mark really doesn't make or break your application anyway....there are plenty of people in my class that just scraped the cut-off and many others that were far above it that never came off of the wait-list. Once you get an interview, it is all about the interview (worth 50%). Most people are so close together in GPA that there really is no significant difference when you are giving them a mark out of 25 for GPA. (Because the cut-off does not equal 0/25. Getting the cut-off gives you a really decent score out of 25!)

In the past, the 25% GPA mark was usually based only on your BEST year because your last year wasn't done yet. I don't know how people that had already finished their degree (ie done BEST and LAST year at time of application) were treated. I don't think that they were disadvantaged at all by this. Of course, none of these weightings have been finalised for this year yet and could easily change. So, don't worry about things yet.

Guest khoberian

Under the old rules, a student could apply in the fourth year of his degree and he would only have to have one of the first three years above the GPA cutoff. Then, provided everything went well, you would get a conditional acceptance requiring that the you keep your GPA above a certain level.

Will the above scenario still be possible or must the marks for the two best years be available at application time? Or can an applicant still have one year above the GPA cutoff and get a conditional acceptance?

thanks a bunch guys

Guest UWOMED2005

Aneliz and Timmymax are actually on the adcom at western as student representatives, so I'd be surprised if they were incorrect.

As for khoberian's question, I don't know the answer but I'm sure Aneliz and/or Timmymax will be able to answer that.

Guest aneliz

The new rule comes straight from the ad com....as UWOMED2005 mentioned, TimmyMax and I both sit on the admissions committee as 1st year student reps...

As for Khoberian's question....no the two best years do not have to be completed at the time of the application....if they are though, your acceptance would not be conditional on your final year's GPA....if you only have one year completed that is above the cut then your acceptance would still be conditional on your last year's GPA...(so that you had two years above the cut). If your last year did not meet the cut, your acceptance would be rescinded because you would not meet the requirement of having two years above the cut-off

As an example of the difference between old and new system:

OLD SYSTEM:

Student A:

1st Year GPA: 3.60

2nd Year GPA: 3.75

3rd Year GPA: 3.80

Cut off for application cycle is set at 3.65 (as an example only)....student A gets an interview (based on best year of 3.80) and then gets a conditional offer....alas, student A's last year GPA (which was not completed at the time of the application) is 3.60....which is not above the cut and student A's acceptance is rescinded even though student A has two years that ARE over the GPA cut....

Student B:

1st Year GPA: 3.40

2nd Year GPA: 3.66

Same cut-off, Student B gets interview and conditional acceptance....student B's 3rd year GPA is exactly 3.65 so student B gets to keep their acceptance....student B has two years that are above the cut too....

Now, can you see any real difference between student A and student B? Neither can the ad comm....hence the new rules...under the new rules, Student A would be given an outright acceptance (assuming that they had all of their pre-reqs)....and Student B would get a conditional acceptance....but both would end up getting in. However, under the old rules only student B would have been able to keep their acceptance....

I hope that this clears up any confusion...any other questions, post away....

Cheers!

Andrea

Guest toothyhuh

Too bad they didn't have this rule last year, damn it! :-(

Anyway, do you think because of othis rule the cut-off gpa will be raised, and is there any minimum set for the final year gpa? i.e. above 3.0 or something like that. Also, do you have any news on the MCAT cutoffs?

Thanks

Guest therealcrackers

MCAT cutoffs will be posted after the next admissions committee meeting at the end of January. You will probably hear it here first.

As far as a minimum standard goes for the final year, haven't the foggiest. One of the other moderators will chime in on that.

Guest aneliz

No, there will be no set GPA that you need to have achieved in your final year. Your final year will now be treated the same as any other year. So, if whether you have a 4.0 or a 2.0 in your final year, it won't matter as long as you do have two full time years that are above the cut-off....it doesn't matter if these two years are your 1st and 2nd year, 3rd and 4th year, 1st and 3rd year or any other combination....as long as they are full-time years (5.0 full courses between Sept and April and no repeated courses during the year) and they are from the same degree....(you cannot mix and match between two degrees) you will be fine.

GPA and MCAT cut-offs for 2003 entry have not yet been set...they will be decided at the admissions meeting on January 31st...so you will have to wait until then to find out. We will post them here as soon as they are decided. As for them being raised due to the new rule....they won't be raised specifically because of the new rule....GPA cuts are set to trim the applicant pool down to a number (~420) that is reasonable to interview....so the cut-off is entirely dependent on the quality of the applicant pool....having not yet seen what that pool looks like for this year, I really can't tell you whether the cut is likely to go up or down or stay the same....it is usually between 3.50-3.70.

Andrea:

Does it matter if these 2 years are within graduate or undergraduate degrees?

(For example an MBA= course-based. Therefore (theoretically) it fulfills the credit pre-req.

Thanks

Melina

Guest aneliz

The two best years must be undergraduate years. They must also be from the same degree...if you have more than one undergrad degree, you cannot mix and match.

I am pretty sure that UWO will count an MBA as a graduate degree (because it is) regardless of the fact that it is by coursework...you could call admissions to be sure. If this is the case, you would not be able to use it for you GPA.

In general, UWO doesn't care about graduate degrees...all they want to know is that you have completed your grad degree before you register. Doing a grad degree doesn't exempt you from any of the requirements (including pre-reqs, GPA and MCAT cuts) and does not put you in a separate 'graduate cohort' for admissions as it would at some other schools. Your graduate marks are not considered at all in the admissions decision.

Good luck!

Archived