Premed 101 Forums

English Requirement

Guest UofT Student

Guest UofT Student

Hi everyone,

I saw on this website:

www.med.uwo.ca/ADMISS/faq...EREQUISITE

that one needs to have either OAC English or a university-level English in order to apply to Western. I have OAC English.

One of my friends in an upper year told me that OAC English would not be acceptable, but the website says that it is. Which is true?

Also, how would I show that I have the OAC English credit? Would I have to send in a high-school transcript, with all of my other high-school marks as well? Or is it enough that I am currently a student at UofT, which required OAC English in the first place for entry into the Life Sciences?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

OAC english is acceptable for admission....that's all I had!

If you receive an interview, you will be required to hand in a copy of your high school transcript at the interview to prove that you have OAC english. The fact that you are a UofT student currently is not acceptable proof as UofT also accepts OOP and international students who DO NOT have OAC english...as far as I know OAC english is the only acceptable substitution for the university english credit...(ie if you did high school in Alberta, you can't use your Alberta Grade 12 english, you would need to do a university level english). Don't worry about proving your OAC english until you are offered an interview....the admissions office doesn't like to be flooded by the high school transcripts from 1000's of people that won't ultimately be considered for admission (ie no interview). And ultimately, if you didn't have the english pre-req at the time of the interview, it wouldn't impact on your application much anyway. UWO will give conditional acceptances to people with the condition that they will complete their remaining pre-reqs in the summer before med school in order to keep their acceptance.

One final word of advice: the admissions information put together by the schools and found either on their own or the OMSAS website are infinitely more reliable sources of information than friends....

Guest bad hombre

the website above mentioned states "OAC English (or equivalent)", so I guess you ARE allowed to use IB English, or Alberta Grade 12 English, or whatever.

but the omsas website/application brochure states nothing about an english requirement... ?

I wouldn't worry about it...if it is really concerning you call the admissions office...I got in with just an OAC english...as did many others. If you are an Ontario high school grad at university, you must have an OAC english too...therefore, no problems! As for what they consider equivalent to an OAC english..I have no idea....again, you would need to call admissions. As I said earlier, it really doesn't matter that much because it won't alter your chances of getting an offer...and if it turns out that your offer is conditional because UWO feels that you are lacking the english...it is pretty easy to pick up a general first year english credit at pretty much any university in the summer.

As for it not being in the OMSAS booklet...pre-reqs were changed slightly between last year and this year...it is possible that the OAC english was given the boot...(to be replaced by the 'essay courses')...I will see what I can find out...it is possible that it was accidentally not removed from the website or accidentally omitted from the OMSAS booklet...

Guest UofT Student

Thank you very much, aneliz! You are very knowledgeable and I'm sure the board benefits greatly from your expertise and willingness to help. Good job!

Archived