Premed 101 Forums

# Graduate Students invited for interviews

Guest sixster

Guest sixster

Hi,

Does anyone know how many grad students are invited for interviews? Is there a certain number that they interview each year or does that depend on the quality of the grad pool? How many grad students actually get in?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

In a previous year, I was told that ~10-20 graduate students were extended interviews. This might vary from year to year, though.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest sixster

Thank-you for your responses.

:D

Does anyone know how many grad students are asked to submit a grad package and how many of those people get interviews and acceptance?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again,

These statistics appeared on a post within the Ottawa forum a couple of years ago. I'd called to find out that very information and Admissions had provided it. Check out some of the UofO archives--hopefully it wasn't one of the posts that ended up in the rubbish tip.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

It seems that more and more people have a Master's degree when they enter medicine. I think in the next few years you will see a surprising increase in the amount of applicants who have a graduate degree. Personally, I think everyone who enters medicine should do a graduate degree because it really is quite an exciting experience. The only way I can describe the transition from undergrad to graduate is the same transition you felt when graduating high school and going to university. In this case, undergrad would be considered high school and graduate school would be considered university. I know not many people will agree with me on that one; I think the majority of people just want to get into medical school and become a doctor!

Geez Jeff if you like grad school so much why don't you just marry it??

Sorry, my immature humour.

No no it's great that you've enjoyed your experience so much, but don't you think that there's a huge amount of money that goes into cultivating grad students into scientists? And that if the majority or even a good portion go into medicine, and I'm conscious of the fact that a portion of those may return to basic science later, that the lab that invested in these students are losing out? I know a lot of PI's that have that issue and screen against medhopeful masters applicants for just that reason.

I don't know if I necessarily believe that Master's students have their education held against them in some instances. Is it the same as nursing students being questioned why they want to enter a new medical field? They have a job that is quite hard to fill and they want to leave that field to pursue medicine. That is definitely a hard question to justify to an adcom.

Grad school doesn't necessarily train people to be scientists. In many fields of biology, biochemistry, and chemistry (i.e. working in a lab), you need at least a Master's to get a job. Why? Because everybody else applying for the job has a Master's, so you need to have one to if you want to be considered. It is a well known fact that an undergrad degree isn't worth a donkey these days and everybody is getting one, whether they use it or not.

I can assure you I am ready to move on past graduate school; it was a good experience and I wouldn't trade it for any acceptance into medical school. Plus, of the 5 schools I applied to, each one of the admissions officers said I would have a definite advantage over the fact I have a Master's. That is why most schools have their own way of treating graduate applications.

I didn't say masters students are questioned by med schools, I agree with you completely in that they're looked upon favourably. I said that when applying for a masters project, many PI's don't look favourably upon MSc applicants to an MSc programs who might leave for an MD program in a year of two.

Ya after I read your question more thoroughly I figured that is what you meant. My Master's was the polar opposite of biological sciences involving Banach spaces and differential manifolds; I was just glad that both my supervisors were supportive of my decision to study medicine.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest waitingINwonder

I was wondering whether any current grad applicants had a similar experience to the one I just had with UOttawa:

Applied to UOttawa after 3rd year undergrad, invited for interview but rejected post interview. Decided to begin a 2-year grad program in health-related research, did not re-apply to medicine during my 1st year in the program because didn't feel it was right to ditch my supervisor (despite still really wanting to go into medicine). Applied now during my 2nd year because I feel I'm close to finishing. My grades have not only improved since then, but kept up pretty well with the extracurriculars considering I'm in a demanding lab-based program. So, I was really surprised to receive a letter indicating that my application was not strong enough to be considered as part of the undergraduate pool meaning that I have to send in proof of being productive during my graduate program to now be considered for an interview. This is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion since research is tough and just because there's no productivity doesn't mean the person hasn't been working. I feel it has something to do with not applying last year and possibly, a complete lack of understanding on the part of the admissions committee of the demands of research (I know this can't be completely true since some of them are researchers). Any other ideas anyone??

Guest spidey077

I applied to medicine in my 4th year of undergrad, interviewed and rejected post interview. Then I pursued a Master's degree and in my second year applied once again. I know that I was never asked to provide any proof of being productive in my graduate studies...I'm not even really sure that graduate applicants were considered in a manner different from the rest of the applicants. I did however have to provide a letter from my PI stating that I would be able to finish the program before September. I did not have publications at this stage of my career due to the nature of my project, so this was not a deciding factor for getting an interview. I was invited to interview, and was waitlisted, but not high enough to matter....thus rejected....and transferred to a PhD. I applied once again this year....in the final stages of my PhD, was not asked for any productivity report, however in the application I explicitly listed my publications in the "research" section, so they already had some proof of productivity.

I feel the most important thing is to have really strong reference letters (since grad school commenced I have used my PI as one) and for your ABS to reflect that you are well rounded.

Archived