Premed 101 Forums

when do they print off and put the letters in envelopes?

Guest monkey

Guest monkey

hey

i was just thinking...does UWO make their decision in second-last week of may, and then just use up the last week to print up the letters and put them in their envelopes? 400 letters isnt exactly easy to print off quickly so just wanted to know what might be happening...LOL. if ihave not said it already i guess i should: i'm getting very very VERY anxious and have way too much time on my hands!!!!

and i know it would be wasteful to discuss this...but u c, i am FOR wasting time...so yea!! lets all waste time and keep ourselves from going COMPLETELY nuts...

:)

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

My guess is that we were all weighed and measured a long time ago, like maybe at the beginning of the month- so decisions were made a long time ago. The Ottawa U rep said that the ministry doesn't allow the OMSAS member schools to render their decisions until the 31st of May. No matter how you slice it, we've already had our fate decided for us, so now it's just a matter of knowing.

I'd like to know if letters go out on the Thursday such that they may arrive the Friday, not that I'm getting antsy or anything! Oh well, we'll all know for sure soon enough. Until then, it's back to jail for me! :)

Best of luck!

Tim

Guest PeterHill0501

monkey...

I believe they have had a million monkeys with a million typewriters who have already typed, folded, stuffed, addressed and stamped the letters. I believe at this point there is a large-armed admissions officer at each Ontario school who is holding the bag of letters over their respective mailbox waiting for 24:00:01 on May 31...at which point all large-armed registrars, who have synchronized watches, cell phones, and equivalent-sized bags, will flip their bags over at staggered time intervals (which will account for equivalent mailing time based on the number/bulk of letters each has to mail out) so that envelopes will be received by Canada post in each region at the same time! Anyway, that's the story I heard.

Teasingly,

Peter

Guest monkey

PeterHill:

how interesting that you have "monkeys" type up the letters...;)

i'm actually glad i'm not the only nut...err...curious individual at the moment!

but i am so glad for someone making me laugh at the ridiculous situation as it is.

BTW: Tim, thanks for your informative bulletin. it sucks how OMSAS is doing this to us.

:)

Guest PeterHill0501

monkey...

you know, it IS quite a ridiculous situation, isn't it? I'm not sure what all the secrecy is about. Why don't all the schools have a secure web site or OMSAS mediate a centralized secure website...post the interview invitation lists as a function of OMSAS number...extend offers, waitlist "invitations" and rejections via this site, and even publish the overall ranked list of candidates sorted by OMSAS number. This way we could all have less stress...we could even see where we are on the list...at what point they are on the list with respect to turnover...etc...what harm could that do? I'd love to hear other people's opinions on this whole waiting period thing....

Peter

Guest UWOMED2005

The decisions were pretty much made once the last person stepped out of the interview room - it was just a matter of compiling the interview/GPA/MCAT scores and having the computer tell the adcom who was accepted/waitlisted/rejected. I have no clue as to whether the envelopes have been stuffed yet, nor do I think it's worth my time to find out. Stuff will be mailed out on May 31st, and you should hear ASAP.

Guest aneliz

Why not a website? - I'll tell ya why. :b Remember waayyyy back in October when we were all sitting in front of our computers CURSING the OMSAS website and server that was painfully slow if it was working at all? Now, lets suppose that at the time the server was so slow, on average 75% of the people that applied this year were trying to access the web and get their application in. (Probably a high estimate.) It is very unlikely that at any time ALL of the applicants were trying to access compass at the same time. And, as seen in the fall, high use of OMSAS server = crash of OMSAS server!!!! Now, If all of the invitations, acceptances waitlists etc were posted online that would mean that EVERYBODY that applied would be trying to log onto the secure server the *second* that the results were posted. (Me included :) ) So, if results went up at 00:00:01 on May 31st, you can bet that all of us would be sitting on our computers waiting for the clock to strike midnight before logging in. More than likely result = OMSAS server crash!! If the OMSAS server crashed, you could spend *days* trying to get access to it to find out the results - much like many of us spent days (and nights) trying to submit our applications. That's just my two cents - I am gladly waiting for Canada Post! :)

Guest PeterHill0501

analiz,

Sorry...I hate to claim I have experience in this area...but unfortunately I spent the last 6 years out of 12 designing high speed optical, HFC, wireless and POTS internet gear at Nortel. The number of applicants in Ottawa is about 2K...let's say the number is triple that at any other university...there's how many universities in Ontario? In Canada? The entire library of commerce can be transmitted across the globe in under a second on a single strand of fibre...there's no way that even a simple server sitting (at this moment) in my basement...ok...let's say two (one for backup)...couldn't handle this volume.

I'm sorry if I come across as being snarky about this subject...I just think the whole waiting thing is unnecessary, stressful and traditional...so many schools are touting that they are "wired" but the admissions process isn't e'd?

Skeptically and unnecessarily anxious,

Peter

Guest monkey

well the way i see it, we've endured 3 months of waiting and guessing...i know it is a lot harder to endure 3 more days. BUT, i know we can do it. lol. i'm trying to convince myself as i wriet this! but anyways, we'll all get in and the world will be a rosy and happy place. :)

yeaaa!

There are actually a few schools in the US that either e-mail acceptances or post results on a website. Many of these schools have more than 5000 applicants (OMSAS in total only had 4000 people last year), so I don't see why it can't be done...

Guest hmsdread

Don't forget that even though OMSAS had 4000 people applying, that number has probably been reduced to around 1000 or so now. So even if everyone were to log into the site at the same time, the raw number of people would surely be less than what was happening during peak times way back in October.

I agree with Peter, a very simple server could handle this amount of simultaneous logins and would be a much better way to handle the whole thing.

hmsdread

Guest PeterHill0501

hmsdread...

Welcome back! Long time no see! Where have you been? Have you been incognito...or what? What schools have you applied to? Have you heard any news from any non-ontario spots you've applied to?

Guest hmsdread

How ya doing?

Yeah, I haven't posted in a little while. I've been around though, reading pretty much everything - staying current, you know? ;) I'm glad to see things are getting peaceful again around here, it was pretty intense for a bit. I've managed to keep my mind occupied by researching in intricate detail the components of my next computer system...between hardware review websites and the more (imo) reliable user forums and the continued release of something newer and better every other day, its been more than enough to distract me for the last month!! It'll be a miracle should I actually buy something soon.

As for meds, I'm just waiting patiently for next week now - I only applied to the 5 in province schools, nothing out of province. I was interviewed at TO, Western and Ottawa, with my confidence about the interviews in almost exponentially descending order (which probably means I'll be accepted by Ottawa and RJ'd by TO, and the UWO people will just flip a coin or something).

I really hope things go well for you come next week... you deserve a spot based solely on attitude! Although my school preference places Ottawa at the bottom, if I do end up there it will be nice knowing that someone like you will be in my class.

I'm sure there'll be lots of activity here over the next few days... keep in touch.

hmsdread (Matt)

Guest Liana

My question (among many, in this crazily bureaucratic process) is what specific body dictates that May 31st must be THE day of reckoning? Tim mentioned something about it being "the ministry" - that is, the Ministry of Health? or Education?

For those of you who recall the OUAC application process in applying to Ontario undergrad programs, there was also a magic date (~June 15) set for those acceptances/rejections. In the 1999 admission cycle, OUAC eliminated this day, allowing Ontario schools to send out offers as early as March, on a rolling basis as determined by the individual schools.

What I would like to know is, if OUAC could change the system used for undergrad admissions, why not for medical admissions as well (since OMSAS is merely a branch of OUAC anyway)? Yes, some schools are significantly behind in making decisions (eg, U of T, which interviewed about 2 weeks ago), but what logic is there for requiring all schools to send out those letters this week, when many may have made the decisions months ago? Theoretically, if offers could be sent out earlier without requiring the successful applicants to accept the offer before all schools had a chance to mail, then I think we'd be a lot more relaxed. Perhaps there is some desire to wait until exams are finished before sending out these life-changing letters, but most of us are done exams by early May. Sending out things earlier does more than calm our nerves: it's also a great relief for those of us trying to find housing, establish plans for the following year (especially if there are deposits or non-refundable expenses that must be put down on our alternate plans), or just enjoy summer.

The thing that gets me through these last days is reminding myself of Christmases when I was younger. I invested so much energy thinking about usually one particular toy - maybe it was a Barbie, or a video game, or whatever. Christmas morning would come, and sometimes I would get that particular gift, and others times I wouldn't. But regardless of the outcome, on December 26th, I found myself envying the blissful ignorance of the 24th.

Here's hoping you find a nice treat in your stocking!

Guest PeterHill0501

Liana,

How true it is:

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> The thing that gets me through these last days is reminding myself of Christmases when I was younger. I invested so much energy thinking about usually one particular toy - maybe it was a Barbie, or a video game, or whatever. Christmas morning would come, and sometimes I would get that particular gift, and others times I wouldn't. But regardless of the outcome, on December 26th, I found myself envying the blissful ignorance of the 24th.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Whereas the "true meaning of christmas" is the enjoyment of family, health and happiness...perhaps the analog for the 31st is appreciation of opportunity, knowledge and flexibility? Well...and, perhaps more importantly, maybe the appreciation for all the great people and intelligent minds we've had a chance to interact with during the process...

I really didn't have any expectations as a child around particular gifts...well, most of the time...I just wallowed in the fantasy of Santa Claus and the magical nature of Christmas. Personally, if I don't get an acceptance this week I'm not going to be that happy (obvious?)...and I will, in a strange way, envy the "blissful ignorance" of the 31st! As I've said in other forums, I've taken almost a lifetime to think about this...and the last year or so hoping to finally fulfill it..I'd like to get on with it... :) Also, the last couple of summers I've had (specifically the last 3 or 4) have been quite stressful with a terrible marriage (4 summers ago) divorce (3 summers ago)...the demise of Nortel (the last two summers)...I think I'm due for a stress free summer! Although I would sincerely appreciate the opportunity to be on a waitlist if not immediately accepted...in some ways I'd almost rather have a binary accepted/rejected answer on the 31...anyway, here's to a speedy answer for everyone and a relaxing summer.

Peter

Guest PeterHill0501

hmsdread,

I'm doing great...it's nice to see you posting again.

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> I'm glad to see things are getting peaceful again around here, it was pretty intense for a bit.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Ya, it got really weird for a week or so...but thankfully the good nature of the group (with the help of our autocratic censoring moderators...just teasing guys...you do a wonderful job and have been instrumental at keeping things positive and reasonable) prevailed.

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> I've managed to keep my mind occupied by researching in intricate detail the components of my next computer system...<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

So, if you go to U of O, all that research will be wasted? :) Seriously, what does your research indicate is the best stuff / best bang for the buck these days? What do you think about the configuration of the IBM thinkpad laptops being purchased by U of O this year?

I also hope you get an offer or several this coming week. And, while it's not your first choice, I hope you come to Ottawa...I think the success of any one year/school is highly dependent on the quality and diversity of people in your class. If you have mature, honest, fun, diverse, nice people in your class the experience and education of the same quality will inevitably follow...it's all about the people and interpersonal relationships/support regardless of whether you're in school or working.

Did you interview on March 19 in Ottawa? Why is Ottawa at the bottom of your list...or, alternatively, why is your list in the order it is?

Peter

Guest Angela

Hi Peter!

I'm totally in on posting the results on the web. Not only that but if they can also post the results earlier!!

I think I'm officially in the "going crazy" stage. At times I felt like calling up the office and asking them if I can just pick up my letter tomorrow before they mail it. Wouldn't that be nice?

Glad to have a place to vent!

Hope we all get the present (i.e. the thick envelope) we want!

Angela

Guest PeterHill0501

Cheers to that idea...I'm thinking because I live in Ottawa...there's a small chance I could actually get my U of O letter tomorrow...have you heard of this happening?

Wouldn't that be nice?

Good luck to you...I look forward to hearing how everyone fairs...

Sleepless & somewhat anxious,

Peter

Guest hmsdread

My school preference is setup around two major issues: distance from home, and cost of living. I'm from Windsor, and I'd like to stay as close to here as possible, for all the normal reasons (family, friends, etc.). UWO, being only 2 hours away, would certainly be nice for this. TO, a four hour distance, is also acceptable. On the other hand, Ottawa is an ungodly 10 hours away, give or take a few (I flew to my interview, so I don't even know). Makes coming home for a weekend a virtual impossibility, or really, really expensive.

Comparatively, London is pretty inexpensive to live in. I know of several people who have very nice apartments, and are paying $600 a month. In Toronto this amount of cash would probably get you a higher-end cardboard box. Ottawa, of course, has the lowest vacancy rate in Canada. So not only are places expensive, but they are hard to find. Like salt in a wound.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Ottawa the city or the school, and I would be happy to go there next year if I'm only accepted there. Its just that Western and TO suit my needs a little better. And if these boards have taught me anything, its to choose the med school that suits your own personal needs. The Windsor/Western med school collaboration is also exciting, and the chance to come home and do clerkship here in third year would be great.

Oooh, as for computers...you see, a computer is a lot like a med school. You have to pick the one that suits you the best... hahaha, really though, the best bang for your buck depends totally on what you use it for. Word processing only? Just get yourself a bare bones P2 or P3 for a couple hundred bucks, if that. Most people don't just use their system for word processing though. In my opinion, the best thing you can get right now is an AMD Athlon XP 1700+ with a decent motherboard (like an Asus or Abit), with either the KT266A or KT333 chipset. As a general rule, I stay away from prebuilt systems like Dell, IBM or Compaq. Often they use older motherboards with inferior chipsets, and lower end peripherals. If you're a hardcore gamer, go with the KT333 and a higher model CPU, like a 1900+ or 2000+. Get yourself a good video card, like a Geforce 4 Ti4200, and some name brand ram, like Corsair or Crucial.

Do you have a link for the Ottawa laptop specs? I haven't seen them yet, but I would really like to. And if I do end up at Ottawa, then the laptop will have a bigger brother in my new desktop :D .

Well, its lunchtime now, must go eat.

hmsdread

Guest UWOMED2005

I couldn't agree with you guys more that OMSAS takes way too long in getting responses back to applicants. Had I applied to Dal last year (I didn't, but I looked into it) my application would have been due a month after the OMSAS deadline, and I might have found out months in advance. If I remember correctly, the situation was the same for undergrad. . . I was accepted to the University I ended up attending (King's) months in advance to the OUAC releasing their results. (In fact, a small part of the reason I chose to go out east was that I was the fact I was treated as a number and made to wait by King's. . . kind of made me feel wanted.)

I think the late reason for the notification of acceptance is twofold: first, the use of an external aplication service (OMSAS) necessitates additional bureacracy/red tape. All that info you send to OMSAS has to be copied and transferred to the Universities, and with the great number of correspondence they receive on October 15th, etc. all of that bureaucracy takes time.

The other reason, I think, acceptances are sent out so late in Ontario (May 31st) is to makes sure all of the med schools have enough time to make their decisions by that date (some of the schools seem to be a little slower than others). And I think they want to send out the acceptances all at the same time to simplify the issue of multiple acceptances, rejections, and waitlists. We've seen a few people who've been accepted to other programs or med schools outside of Ontario who have had to debate over whether to confirm acceptances, pay deposits, etc. After all, if U of T sent out their acceptances two months before Western, they'd run the risk half of their class would confirm acceptances only to decline a few months later. :)

Guest Sara

The one date - May 31 doesn't bother me. It is the wait list potential that does.

I think OMSAS should require all applicants to list their schools from choice one to five. This info of course would not be made available to the med school (bias etc.)

Then the schools would rank all interviewed canidates first to last. Send it to omsas

Then OMSAS would send each applicant one offer of admission (hopefully their first choice).

For instance if I ranked

1-Toronto

2-Ottawa

3-Queens

4-Western

5-Mac

And I got into Ottawa and Queen's - I would only get the Ottawa offer and my Queen's offer would go to the next person on the list.

I think it would alleviate the wait for a lot of people.

Guest monkey

sara,

i wouldnt like that type of system b/c what if you change circumstances beyond your control force you to choose another school rather than the oen u prefer. if i had to move to queens but only got told the ottawa one, i would resent the fact that my offer went without my consent to another person. i would have a system like you said except i would have the waiting list number/accept/reject for each school so that you can choose. it might not be fast but its beneficial for those who get caught in such scenarios.

Guest sara

I guess so, but if you made the rank list after interview say in May 1. That way you can judge schools by interviews and atmosphere etc...

I am sure most people have a pretty good idea where they want to go by May 1...

Guest utapp

...anyone who has been through the coop process at waterloo will probably also agree. Here we get ranked by employers but we don't know our actual rank unless we are offered the job outright. Then we have to rank the jobs to which we were ranked. All of this gets inputed in a box and the you end up with a match...this process takes forever and you never know what all the possibilities were

Archived