Premed 101 Forums

when do they print off and put the letters in envelopes?

Guest monkey

Guest aneliz

Hey Peter,

I have no doubt that the technology to make such a website exists. I merely question the likelihood that our favourite bureaucratic institution (ie OMSAS) would invest in and maintain such technology given their 'stellar' performance with compass. If it worked it would be fantastic but I think that given the lightening speed and superior capabilities of Compass, it would likely crash spectacularly leaving all of us frustrated and waiting indefinitely for someone to get up off their fatty acids (as my nutrition prof would say) and fix the problem! At least with Canada Post you know that the answer IS coming (come sleet, snow, hurricane etc). The answer is coming but not soon enough....

Guest marmotYVR

um, I'm no techie, but couldn't OMSAS just e-mail us the responses? And, for those applicants without ready access to a computer, they could opt for snail mail.

Of course, a big question is whether there are security risks with this. Would there security issues for a website? Would it be possible for someone to hack in and fix the results to show that they were admitted? Perhaps the level of security needed is a limiting factor. I know Mac tried to have an "Admissions Status" link on their website, but it didn't happen. Too bad - I wonder what the problem was!

Guest Beaver

The monkeys at OMSAS screwed up my application

I applied to Queens, Mac, Utoronto,Western I Queens, Mac, Utoronto responded and I was interviewed at all. Western told me they never recieved anything from OMSAS regarding my application to the med program. Those idiots could have cost me an acceptance as I made the cutoffs for the Western interviews.

I phoned Western right away and Darla( i think that was her name) was really helpful (sacrastic), she told me there was nothing they could do but "look on the bright side, I could always apply next year!!!!!!!"

Oh well I hope the spot goes to someone from the board

Good Luck!

Guest Carolyn

A very similar system is used for the residency match -- all of it is going to be online this year. I've learned from the OMSAS mishap (although I fortunately did not have to go through it myself!), to get all of my stuff in long before the deadline so I don't get stuck with the slowness, inability to log on.

anyways, all of the ranking is done online; it would be interesting if the whole admissions process was nationalized and done similarly!

Guest therealcrackers

I just finished my last written exam, and ran into one of the admissions secretaries. She assuerd me that ALL the letters made the 9 am mail today, and are winging their way to you. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYBODY!

Crackers Meds 1 (and only the anatomy practical left!)

Guest UWOMED2005

Thanks crackers. . . you beat me to the punch.

Sara - somewhat ironically, the system you describe is essentially the system used in the CaRMS match to match MD grads to residency programs!

Guest premed

Does anybody know the method of mailing acceptances? I'm wondering if they are sent registered or priority mail..? Thanks!

Guest therealcrackers

Please remember that this is from a student who goes to Western, and any apparent slagging of other exceptional medical schools is done in fun.

“Shooting Star” to the tune of “Drops of Jupiter” by Train --- with apologies to Pat Monahan and the band

Now that she’s back from the interview with drops of med school falling like dew HEY HEY

She walked in fearful, she walked out brave, reminds me that I need to shave HEY HEY

Since her return from the interview room, she talks miles a minute and her heart goes boom HEY HEY HEY HEY

Tell me did the profs knock you off your feet

Did you finally get the chance to dance and sing how much you want meds

And how you won’t let it go to your head

Tell me did you soar like a shooting star sailing past the admission bar

And would you miss me if you went to do med school out there

Now when’s she asked what’s her dream rotation, she said she’d choose from the constellation HEY HEY

She said that Mozart, haiku and tae bo were things she’d done to help her grow HEY HEY

Now that she’s back from the interview, I’m afraid that from her point of view

I’m a plain old Jane, who was too afraid to try, who has too afraid to fail, so he never did apply

Tell me did you prance around at Mac? Think that U of T is full of hacks,

That Queen’s is badly dated, and that Ottawa’s overrated

Tell me, did Western blow your mind, was it everything you wanted to find

And would you miss me if you went to do med school out there……

Can you imagine no free time, class time, study. Your classmates always sticking up for you. Even when they know you’re bombed

Can you imagine learning path, phys, biochem, HIS, 5 hour lab conversations, the best damn program that

you ever had and me….

Tell me did the school sweep you off your feet, did you finally get the letter at home that says they’re going to accept you, and now they’re wondering when to expect you

Tell me did you find a new field to learn, one to give you money to burn once you get through tuition, and all your training comes to fruition

Tell me did you soar like a shooting star, sailing past the admission bar

And will you miss me when you’re going to med school

NA NA NA and now you finally get a chance to study every night and day……

NA NA NA soar like a shooting star, soar like a shooting star

NA NA NA and are you lonely while you study meds out there…………

Guest TimmyMax

Hey Crackers,

Great song! Golly gee! Western is the bestern and I really want to go there...but I can't. At least not today. :)

Best of luck, all!

Timmy

Archived