Premed 101 Forums

Thoughts on dropping out of OT school?

Hi,

So for the past 6 years OT had been my dream. I did everything to try to get into it (volunteering, research, studying like crazy to get a good GPA). I did get in, however, I feel that I chose the wrong school. The program at this school is really brutal (I have a friend who attends another OT school and their coursework does not look nearly as heavy). Coming from a less prestigious undergrad university where I mostly took 4 or even less courses, I feel that I cannot handle it, it looks unbearable.. In addition I do not have a good background in neuro and anatomy which adds to the courseload. However I know that this is a really competitive program and difficult to get in again. I guess I just needed some advice/tips. Is it worth it to reapply and try to get into another school or should I just switch to something else if I cannot handle the rigors of the program?

Sorry for the rant.

Hello there,

I am also currently in OT (starting my third year). I wish I am as passionate as you regarding OT. 

Although I don't know how heavy your courseload is, if it is your dream to become OT, then DON'T GIVE UP! 

First of all, anatomy and neuroanatomy can seem to be a shock when you just start (tons of things to memorize and visualize in your head). But that is, if you work alone! My neuroanatomy professor said that most of the time, if you try to solve a neuroanatomy question alone, you might get it. But with a partner, you'll almost always get it right. So if something is hard, try to vary and adapt your study method ---> Go find a study partner and set weekly times to study (and struggle) together, see the professor to get tips on how to study his class, etc. 

As for the courseload, I don't know how it works at your school, but maybe see a academic advisor and see if you can have less course per semester, and complete, e.g. some complementaries (if you have any) during summer. Try to explain that you are overwhelmed and would be glad if you can reduce the courseload a bit.

Worse case scenario, you can always try to apply to another school while continuing your studies at your current OT school, but I'm not sure about how OT transferring works (will you need to start over? I'm not sure about this, so don't take this advice seriously). 

Anyways, if you really like OT, you should try to hang in there, something good might come out of it if you stick around long enough. Yes, you will have to grit your teeth and bear it sometimes, you will be tired, but try to look at the end of the tunnel: you as an OT!

I hope I wrote something a bit useful :lol: