Premed 101 Forums

Rescinding

Guest hellojoe

Guest hellojoe

Hi, If you do not get a 3,65 your acceptance gets rescinded right. Well, what are your chances of getting in the next year if your acceptance was once rescinded. Better, worse same.

Thanks'

Guest Lichtman

I have thought about this too, and hopefully someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think that would be the ultimate double wammy, because yes, you would be recinded, and secondly, if they maintain GPA cutoffs next year, your out of luck.

If you are currently in forth year, if you apply again, I think they take your best, and last year.

Not only that, I am sure a <3.65 would also cause problems with your GPA in general and future med school chances. :-(

If you're worried...like me, all I can say is get to work! :-)

The only case, I believe that this wouldn't be the case would be if you are now in third year. Then, so long as you have an above 3.65 in other years, and end up with a >3.65 in your last year, you won't be cut off or rescinded, assuming you get an acceptance/waitlist.

Guest mying

Well, it all depends on the applicant pool.

But at least if you get a conditional offer this year and it gets rescinded because of the 3.65 you know your interview went good and you can go into next year's with a bit more confidence.

At least, that's how it worked for me. The first time I came off the waiting list, the second time I was in the first round of offers of admission. So for me: it worked out "better"

Guest UWOMED2005

Just wanted to also point out the fact that last time I checked, you could do a 5th year of UG (ie a new program) to try and get that 'last year' GPA to the cutoff. . . I know of at least one person in the class who did that to get in.

Guest MedDreams

I've also heard that if absolutely necessary, one could do a 5th year UG in a new program but how exactly does that work? I'm assuming you would have to pursue another program within the science stream? If so, then you would be taking first year level courses to fulfill that program requirement, so wouldn't that be unacceptable for med schools if your GPA is based on that level year?

However if you were to pursue another degree or field of study then I believe most universities will grant you 5 full credits toward fulfilling that program requirement. Even so, then your GPA is based on second year level courses. Wouldn't that still pose a problem? Or it simply using that year's GPA as your "last year of study" to jump the med school cutoff??

Archived