Premed 101 Forums

Increase Class Size in Uottawa?

Guest uoft Chemistry

Guest uoft Chemistry

Hi I was reading a couple of papers that said Uottawa is increasing their class size...does any1 know if it applies to this year's admission cycle or is it a plan for next 5-6 years?....thanx

No there is no increase in size for the regular category in this admissions cycle. There is still only 123 spots and they may have increased there capacity for other categories such as minorities. The last time I was talking to Denis, I believe he said there are currently 148 seats available at Ottawa, so 148-123 = 25 extra seats.

I do know that 5 of those are for military members.

Guest satsumargirl

I was actually standing behind the MP and Dean when they made the announcement for the media yesterday...and I wasn`t really paying attention :rollin

But I think the answer to that is ...both. There was already an increase this year (2005). 2006 will see an increase (but I don`t know if that is new or if they already knew about it and so the actual numbers won`t change from what they may have quoted at the beginning of the application cycle). And I think over the next few years they will work their way up to the total numbers accross Ontario that they announced. I also remember them talking about an "aboriginal stream" in order to meet the needs of more of the population.

Guess I should have been listening a little more closely...but they just kind of came and dragged us out of class unexpectedly and I guess I just saw it as an opportunity to take a brain break! :lol

Good thing I was paying attentions eh sats? :P

I have the press release infront of me right now

Ottawa is getting 16 extra spots THIS ADMISSIONS cycle.

That'll bring the total class size to 168 (128 french, 40 english). 4 spots will be added to the francophone program in 2008

Guest uoft Chemistry

WOW,

OT6 are u serious about the 128 french vs 40 english, I always knew ottawa lean towards the french abit but that number almost spells out discrmination against anglo's....with this going to the interview (I'm in InProvince anglo) I'm a bit nervous about the numbers.... How can it possibility be set at those numbers if at the interview stage candidates are RANK by interview score as Denis has indicated to me over the phone????....

Where did u get those stats since the admincom doesnt release it to their students???....I'm just curious....thanx for the reply

Whoa my bad.. SO SO SOOO sorry.. I misread the press release, the increase WAS for this past year. There won't be another increase until 2008 when 4 spaces are added to the french program.

The numbers will remain 112 anglo and 40 french, and then become 112 anglo, 44 french.

Sorry for getting anyone/everyone's hopes up :(

utchem.. it's not discrimination.. there are 40 students in the french program, that's just the number designated for them. It's never been a secret, and even if it was, we could go to one of their classes and just count them :)

Denis hasn't misled you in anyway, the 500 or so interviews (550 maybe?) are split in that same ratio.. so 112/152*500 = 370 anglo interviews, 130 french.

Guest uoft Chemistry

Hi OT6

Thanks for the clarification, sorry if i sounded rude didnt want to come out like that was just a bit panicky..thanx for the info...

Me :D

Archived