Premed 101 Forums

Should I even bother.

Guest epsilon11

Guest epsilon11

Here's the deal:

I have a 4.0 GPA, community service/volunteering/ a life outside of school generally up the yin-yang, and a 10 in PS and 11in BS, and an S in the writing sample on the MCAT.

I only have an 8 on Verbal reasoning...so apparently I can write but not read....very strange...

So, my question to anyone out there who wants to help:

Should I even bother applying to UWO?

Guest UWOMED2005

Yes - it wouldn't be unheard of that the VR min would fall below 8. But don't COUNT on an interview. . . traditionally they've kept that min > 9.

I think people were accepted my year with an 8 in VR. Just to let you know.

You are going to be right on the border....it is really up to you to decide if you have $75 to spend on the app...the UWO app is very low effort (check off the box and send the $$) so it wouldn't take you that much extra time.

I, (personal opinion here - not fact!) don't think that the VR score would drop as low as an 8....but anything is possible.

I am not sure about people in 2005 having 8's.... there was a very complicated adding system in place that year...where if you had an 8 in VR you needed an S in the WS to balance it (which you have!). This system was a disaster (way too difficult to work with) and will likely never be repeated. But you can never know what will happen...if you have the $75, I would apply anyway...you might just get lucky!

Good luck!

Guest UWOMED2005

If my memory serves me correct, for our class you could get in with a VR 8 as long as you had a sufficient WS score (I think the two had to add up to 21, with numbers assigned to the WS scores.)

Every year is different. The last two years have needed 9s. 2005 needed 8s. What 2008 and will need I have no clue.

I think the important point is that the cutoffs are a moving target. Formulae shift from year to year, as will your statistical changes based on both the formula as well as the calibre of the applicant pool.

You won't know if it's a foregone conclusion unless you try. My worry in not trying would be never knowing for sure.

- Rupinder

Guest chiapet921

Hi!

I personally think that you should go for it, since everything sounds great (your experience, marks etc.)...although we've heard that UWO doesn't invite applicants for an interview unless GPAs and MCAT scores are met, from what I've heard (and experienced) from the Aug 2003 MCAT, the exam was very difficult, and who knows what VR scores will be for everyone?

Besides...there's absolutely no work for the UWO application...! :\

Just remember to never regret any decision you make in life...it'll just make your life miserable...

You could get into the class of 2005 with an 8 in VR...provided that you had an S on WS....whether anybody actually got in with this unlikely combination is another story....but it was theoretically possible. However, the nightmare that the 'adding' formula caused Darla was unbelievable...and the chances of that kind of scenario repeating are likely close to nil.

That said, the VR section *could* drop....you never know!

Guest UWOMED2005

Umm, aneliz. . . I think this person did say they had an 8 in VR and an S in WS. :)

I'll reiterate, I'd apply with your stats, I think it's worth a $75 gamble, but as Aneliz has pointed out, I wouldn't count on getting an interview. But it definitely could happen.

I have the opposite problem.

I have an 11 in the VR and a P in the WS. Last year the cut off was a Q, which excluded me from UWO interviews. I will take the gamble this year and hope that the WS will magically drop back to a P.

Phil

Archived