Premed 101 Forums

The effects of double cohort (damn you Mike Harris)

Guest daryn

Guest daryn

So, the kids in the double cohort year should be going into fourth year.

How, do you think, would this affect the application process? For sure the GPAs/MCATs are going to go up, but by how much? How are the schools responding?

Guest bioboy2007

I am pretty scared about the double cohort!

I know that Western has responded to this issue by limiting the number of applicants to only those pursuing an Honors degree, something that will likely control the number of students entering the applicant pool.

Other than UWO, I haven't heard/read about other responses by schools, but I am sure that GPA/MCAT's will rise slightly.

Guest dopetown
I am sure that GPA/MCAT's will rise slightly.

You mean the GPA/MCAT cutoffs, or the GPA/MCAT of the average applicant?

How are you sure, anyway?

Guest aneliz
I know that Western has responded to this issue by limiting the number of applicants to only those pursuing an Honors degree, something that will likely control the number of students entering the applicant pool.

While UWO is changing their admissions requirements to an honours degree, this was NOT in direct response to the double cohort and 'limiting the applicant pool' was definitely not the intent.

In fact, UWO has changed their requirements to increase the variety (and possibly the size) of their applicant pool by eliminating their very restrictive pile of pre-req courses. The pre-reqs that UWO required where numerous and strict, and made it very difficult for a non-science student to meet the requirements. The honours degree requirement was substituted for the pre-req courses because:

1. It would allow students from ALL honours degree programs (arts, engineering, music, etc, etc) to apply on equal grounds without having to work in pre-reqs that may/may not be part of their program. UWO wishes to attract a wide variety of students from a diverse background.

2. Completing an honours degree requirement demonstrates that the students' program is cohesive and academically rigorous.

3. It was felt that students that completed an honours thesis or a certain number of 4th year honours level courses/seminars had a degree of academic maturity and self-directed learning/critical appraisal skills that other students did not. UWO highly values these skills in their medical students...

Guest Paulchemguy

well, some schools rank their applicants academically using their GPA, then pick the top whatever number for interviews. considering this, the GPA cutoff should definitely go up by quite a bit.

Guest aneliz

That assumes of course that the number of applicants is going to increase substantially and that the average GPA of the applicant pool is also going to increase. If both of these are true (which I don't believe they are) then yes, your GPA cuts will go up.

However, I don't think that you are going to see a substantial increase in the number of applicants next year vs this year. Why? Because the double cohort isn't all clumped in one year. They spaced themselves out over a couple of years (by fast-tracking out of highschool, taking a year off before starting university, some applied this year out of third year undergrad, etc). So, there was an increase in applicants already this year, which did NOT impact on the GPA cut off at UWO interestingly enough (even though we went from ~1800 to ~2400 applicants). I don't think that there will be any big increase next year. I would expect it to remain the same as this year rather than decrease, but it isn't going to double or anything like that.

Guest GundamDX

For UBC, it's not going to change a lot, especially when you're a BC resident... the chances now are about 50% to get an interview and 40% to get in when you do get an interiview... that's about 20% from application to acceptance, if you are a BC resident. When you're OOP, it's a whole different story... this year I believe it's about 700 applicants gunning for about 10 spots.

Archived