Premed 101 Forums

Class Size for Sept 2004

Guest Elaine I

Guest Elaine I

Is Western increasing its class size for 2004? I remember reading somewhere that they were going to admit 148-149 students this year, but cannot find a reference on the UWO site.

Thanks for the info,

Elaine

Class size will probably remain at 133 for the incoming year... this coming from someone on the tuition taskforce here at second-year at Western. This is of course dependent on the amount of government funding, things along those lines... but seeing as the new government is freezing tuition yet is 5.6B dollars in debt, I would suspect they won't have enough money to add another 15 BIUs for 15 med student spots at Western.

I don't know if the Adcoms have heard anything different - aneliz?

Guest UWOMED2005

When I was in first year for the class of 2005, the class was 118 and there was talk of increasing by 15 for the following two years, ie 133 for 2006 and 148 for 2007. I think they realized, though, that was way too big of a class to handle. So I'm pretty sure they're capping things at 133, but I'm sure there's where you got the 148 number from.

At one point, there was talk of continuing to increase the class sizes...

Meds 2003 had 96

Meds 2004 has 103

Meds 2005 has 118

Meds 2006 has 133

at one point it was rumoured that Meds 2007 would have 148 people...but they actually have 133...same as meds 2006.

Now, the Liberals said that they would increase med school classes by 15% as part of their platform - but that announcement has not been made since they became government... That said, anything could happen...(number of seats are based on government decree...not on what UWO wants...so they may go up or down before Sept)

However...the class size for Sept 2004 is still 133 unless there are any further government announcements.

Sorry!

Archived