Premed 101 Forums

TB Test

Guest ccgillis

Guest ccgillis

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if we are supposed to get the TB skin test done before we come to western or if it can be done after we arrive. I am confused simply because my doctor seems to believe that the test is done up there. Thanks for your help.

Guest JSS02

You're supposed to get it done on your own before whatever date is specified on the form you got in your registration package. The med school doesn't administer TB tests to students, as far as I know.

Guest therealcrackers

It is my understanding that you should have proof of immunizations and a negative TB skin test (or proof that you don't have active TB) before you start; the exception is Hep B vaccines, which can be done once you are at Western. If you don't have your immunization record for childhood vaccines, you can get titres drawn to show your immune status.

If you can, I think you should try to get the TB skin test done before you come to Western. If you absolutely can't, see if an explanation and making an appointment with student health here would be OK.

Guest makdaddy08

K my city sucks, there's only one place that does immunizations and the first available appointment is September 1st. I need to get it done in London...does anyone know the number of a clinic I can call?

Ian

Guest shrinkage

...I can't believe how elementary the records process is for immunization. When I went in for all the required testing, it became apparent that tracking this sort of thing is left (solely?) to the patients. I had naively assumed that all of our information would be contained on a nation-wide computer tracking database, and that our doctor could just punch in a search string and get access to all health information about us. The Dr. examining politely tried very hard not to laugh out loud when I suggested as much. When I brought in my "little yellow booklet thingy" the next appointment, I was worried because some of the signatures and stuff were missing from it (some techs are more thorough than others). However, this did not prove to be a problem...

He just took all the little checkboxes as gospel. The scary thing is, anybody could just check off whatever boxes they felt like, scribble in some dates, and then claim to be fully immunized. There is currently no way for them to check this. Another interesting thing is that most people get their adolescent tetanus boosters when they are about 15 (I think). These are only good for 10 years, after which, another shot is required. However, I have never heard of a family doc calling up his/her patients and telling them that they need more immunizations. Just for fun, I asked a bunch of my friends, aged 25 - 30, when they last had a tetanus shot, and nobody had any idea. They all turned slightly green when I read them the risk / death statistics from the little leaflet they give you when updating your immunity.

Bottom Line: a) Even though you won't be in the mood, you need to watch those blood techs like a hawk to ensure that they are filling out the information on your yellow booklet accurately and completely, and B) refer to said booklet occasionally to ensure that you don't die a very silly death (e.g., lock jaw, or something else preventable) from a very minor incident (e.g., classic rusty nail scrape, but I'm sure there are many others).

:P

Guest aneliz

One of my friends in undergrad actually *did* get tetanus...from a cactus needle in her finger... thankfully the student health docs realised what was going on and started her on some really high powered antibiotics...and she didn't die and still has all fingers (although they were talking about amputating the finger and potentially the whole hand at one point!)

Childhood immunizations (initial series) are reported to the public health unit in the region where you lived as a small child/attended kindergarten... so you can get some 'proof' that a Canadian born person has had 'basic' childhood immunizations from an outside source... they don't keep track of booster shots though (unless they were given by public health - like the Hep B shots in Gr 7 or the measles booster that they did when I was in Gr 11)...so you are on your own with your yellow book for those.

I have no idea what they do in other provinces with regards to record keeping...but there is nothing 'national' or standard about the process as far as I know...

Archived