Premed 101 Forums

where are you living?

Guest mdhopeful23

Guest mdhopeful23

hi,

im trying to finalize some living arrangements this week (debating whether to wait until july 1st for new openings or just take the plunge). im curious as to where other newbie meds will be living in the city this year. for those of you've who've found a place, where abouts is it?

from my short visit this weekend, im thinking about kipps, proudfoot...maybe windmere, or adelaide n, or richmond n...the list continues...

i thought about masonville, but its kinda pricey for a 1 bdrm...rather rely on my car and move out a tad more :)

i also checked out downtown...its not that bad, but i dont think i want to live there, lol. some of the buildings are...older...and the tenant pop is...mixed :b . tho those swanky 695 condos look pretty nice...

all in all, i think london is a very nice city! im excited to be coming there. seems to be a nice blend of rural/urban living...ah, my kinda town :D

oh for those of you still looking, i found a couple helpful posts from last year:

p084.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm7?page=9.

take a boo if you're interested.

Guest shrinkage

Hopeful,

I was in the same boat...the wife and I drove down to London on Friday (we're from TO) and checked out some places on Saturday.

It's UNBELIEVABLE that the places we looked at were all about the same price but showed such marked differences in quality.

We settled on a "townhouse/condo" in Masonville. It's a 2 bedroom (we are going to make one room into an "office" so that our living room can be "comfy" rather than "functional"). The rent (with partial utils) is $850/mth, which is a tad expensive...but pretty good for 2 people (she works as a lab tech, and hopefully will find somewhere to work in London).

The best part is that the place is about 850 sq. ft. (we are used to paying $700/mth for 396 sq. ft. in downtown TO). It includes 2 parking spaces, but we don't own a car. I'm not sure what the 1 bedroom units go for, but the grounds are immaculate, the lobby nicely appointed, etc. Considering the "converted houses" we looked at were asking the same amount, it seems to be a great deal.

If you are interested, I can send you the contact info. for the real estate lady who set us up. Actually, here is a link describing the neighborhood if you're interested:

www.gscrentals.com/Apartm...8.194.html

Also, thanks to the mod who gave me the tips for which areas to seek housing (I think it was Aneliz).

Guest UWOMED2005

I'd go with Masonville or Downtown. They're the most convenient transportation and amenities wise.

Kipp's lane is way out there.

The only other area I'd consider is the Wharncliffe-Oxford area.

Guest mying

Any of those big apartment buildings along Richmond are pretty good, but a bit pricey. The location can't be beat... you can walk 10 minutes to school, and the walk's along a nice forested riverside path. The school's safety foot patrol even walks to and from those buildings for those late night walks, or at least they used to. From higher up, they've got a nice view too. They're a bit dingy on the inside, and the demographics will mean you will hear parties and such when the undergrads are done exams.

Guest T dawg 2004

1201 Richmond... uh... for the PRICE?? (I did check it out. Definitely VERY EXPENSIVE). That's when I thought definitely not. I mean, 1K for a 2 bedroom?? You can get a brand NEW apartment at 600 proudfoot for $1200 (two bedroom)... It's just very student ghetto and very, well, "run down". I guess you are paying for location... but there are a couple of postings for basement apartments in roughly the same area - check out the housing website.

Guest mdhopeful23

kipps is too far? it only seemed like a five min drive...most places im lookin are 5-10 min drive. and amenities seem to be abundant.

wharncliffe and oxford...im not sure i looked in that area. are there apts there? or is it more of a residential area...

i checked out 1201 richmond on saturday too. well, from the outside anyway, lol, they dont have availibilities right now (you can get put on a waitlist tho). looked like a very nice building, and great location. you can see uwo right behind the parking lot....but they were pricey. 1brdrm started at 689 plus pers hydro and parking (15-40/month depending indoor/outdoor). they boasted having lots of professional and med students, so it does seem like the place to be. that is, if you can get in, and if you can afford it....id think a 2brdm would come out pretty reasonable...

Guest achittle

hey all ... I'm in the process of finalizing a deal for a 3-bdrm Maisonville condo ... It's beautiful, and I'd love to live there (having lived in some pretty hideous places in Toronto for the last few years) but there's only one of me! I need to find 2 roommates willing to pay $425+ utilities. I'd prefer female, non-smokers if possible. If you're interested, or know of anyone who might be, please e-mail me a_chittle@hotmail.com

Andrea

Guest sundinfan

i just signed a lease at 560 Proudfoot for a 1-bedroom. The rent is $700/month plus utilities, and the unit is HUGE, about 1100 square feet. Compared to TO, this is an amazing deal!! It looks to be a 5 min drive to school. Would've been nice to share a place with someone, but seeing as how I don't know anyone, and given my horrible experiences with roommates, I decided to play it safe and get a place of my own.

Guest mdhopeful23

sundinfan,

glad to hear you found a place. im also thinkin of proudfoot too (i appear to be narrowing my choice between that and kipps). anyhoo, if you like, send me a shout at mdhopeful23@hotmail.com. id like to hear more about your 1brdm search (as ill be doing the same)

:D

Guest Gill0927

Hi all,

Glad to hear everyone's having (at least a bit of) luck with the housing search.

I just had a question for anyone in the know about London...as I said in another thread, I'll be living in a townhouse with my brother, and although I've been there (I stayed with him when I came for the interview) I have absolutely no recollection where it is in relation to the school. I checked on the map of London, and it doesn't seem to be far, but he (my brother) said that it was a 10-15 min. drive from school...

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone can tell me if it's actually that far away or what. It's at 1 Aldersbrook Road...it's off Fanshawe Park Road, east of Wonderland. Am I super far from everything??? I have a car, so it's fine if I am, I was just wondering. It would obviously nice to be closer in, but I love the house, and I don't really have a choice anyway!

Thanks,

Gill :D

By the way, my brother used to live in one of the 1 bdrm apartments on Proudfoot (for 2 years) and loved it.

Guest Gill0927

Hi mydream,

I did mapquest it, but it just doesn't give me a great indication of how long it takes to get places... For example, like I said, I thought it looked pretty close to campus (at least to the meds building) but my brother said it was 10-15 minutes by car...so I was just wondering if someone could help me reconcile it.

Thanks!

Gill :b

Guest mdhopeful23

hi gill,

i use msn maps instead of mapquest these days. its very accurate and gives you travelling distances. ie. put in your new address to find your place. then click 'directions to here' and put in uwo's postal (N6A 5B8). the time and path given is pretty accurate....

mappoint.msn.com/(puvybeflsrmrziysy0sivjei)/home.aspx

ps. im glad to hear about other students living out a bit from the school...i was kinda gettin worried id be the only med living outside of masonville :b

Guest Macs4me

Hi Gill,

Aldersbrook is around 10-15 minutes from school. The speed limit down Fanshawe is 80 so it doesnt take as long as it looks (b/c you're flying down most of that road). I'm not sure of the bus routes, but it's not bad getting to school. The only down side I can see is that you are pretty far away (i.e. not walking distance) from the big things (Masonville mall...movie theater...Richmond) but if you have a car then that shouldnt be an issue. Plus, it's a great area...very quiet, etc. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask!

Guest Gill0927

Thanks a lot to all of you, especially macs4me...very informative!

I guess my brother was right <sigh>...I hate when that happens! :b

Gill :D

Guest googlebean

hi sundinfan,

Is proudfoot north or south of the university? Also, do you have the contact person's name and number for that apartment building? I would really appreciate it! It sounds like a great place.

Guest therealcrackers

Proudfoot Lane runs between Wharncliffe and Wonderland, crossing Oxford St. --- it's south and west of campus, accessible by the #33 bus (which doesn't run a full schedule) or the #17 and #6 buses in combination. The apartment buildings there are nice, and quite a few med students live there...

Guest blinknoodle

I sucked it up and signed for a 1 BR in Masonville... a bit pricey, but since I am without a car (and I heard the buses are a bit to be desired), the proximity to Loblaws and school made the decision easier.

I know a few people who signed up for Proudsfoot/Kipps Lane, so I'm sure there will be med students there too.

Cheers,

-bn

Guest Ninja

Lots of medical students live Masonville Gardens, AKA Medical Gardens. Lots of professional students and grad students live in the Glenmore Apartments such as Bayfield, Beaver and Ausable Halls. These apartments are owned by the university and are on campus. They give you a great value ($564 utilities included for a decent 1 bedroom place at Bayfield). You apply online through a lottery/waitlist process (sorry I had to use the "W" word) and while it's unlikely that you'll get in for the Fall, it doesn't hurt to apply and see just in case you're lucky. It's a place a lot of medical students consider moving to after 1st year is over. There's my pitch (I live there). Good luck!

The only downside to bayfield is that Dennis Bhui (2007) lives there. dude...

in terms of numbers for the 2007s i would say:

masonville>1201-1570 richmond>675-695 richmond>proudfoot>bayfield>others

would you agree with that ninja?

Personally if I was going into 1st year again:

w/out car: 1201-1570 Richmond and Masonville are really good alternatives because they have good busroutes to school/mall/groceries/downtown and are also a decent walk to school 5-20 minutes. You can walk to and from school comfortably 95% of the time. Plus a lot of people live along that row so you can get rides to and from school/events and can easily find classmates to share cabs with from the bar. the price for what you get is a little steeper though compared to what you can get in other places. masonville is right across from the mall.

w/car: I would go with proudfoot, windermere towards adelaide, or cherry hill. Really nice apartments. my gf just moved into proudfoot and i really like her place. for what you get it's a lot cheaper than richmond and masonville. i would say it's 7-10 minutes from the parking lot at school depending on trafic. it's maybe at 7 dollar cabride from the bars and by the sounds of it there'll probably be people to cab home with on most nights/carpool with. Not as many as richmond/masonville though. there are A LOT of old people in cherry hill though... i swear i remember the super there telling me that the average age was 80. not always compatible with some students... but awesome if you like studying at home

w/car and you want to live in a p.i.m.p. place and want to host pre-drinks: go with 695-675 richmond. awesome apartments (they call them luxury condos), right by a bunch of bars. even if you don't have a car the bus routes here are in my opinion the best in london. tons of people live in these apartments too.

if you want to be really, really popular with 2007s: we need a place to have houseparties in. get a house and we'll be grateful.

hope this helps

hec

Guest sundinfan

hi googlebean,

Proudfoot lane is southwest of the university. Seems to be a 5-10 min drive to campus... There's several buildings on the street, ranging from ok to luxury. My building (560 Proudfoot), as well as 500, 530 and 540 Proudfoot, are run by Transglobe Properties. I found the staff and agent very friendly, not pushy, and the suites are kept in great condition. Their website is http://www.gotransglobe.com. I just got approved for my place today!

Anyways, good luck apartment hunting! If you have any more questions, email me at jennifertong@osgoode.yorku.ca

Guest Ninja

Hizo's right, there aren't too many 2007s living in Bayfield Hall, but as far as all medical students go (2006s-2004s and residents), there are quite a few. Definitely not as many as there are living in Masonville or the Richmond towers downtown. It comes down to what kinda of a place you're looking. Hizo described some of the more upscale locations but they are a little further out and you may want/need a car if you're living there. Bayfield is more of a mid-level apartment building, nothing too fancy but not ghetto either and it goes for a reasonable price and all utilities are included. As far as being close to school goes, you can't beat Bayfield, but then you are also further away from downtown than 695 and 675 Richmond. Weigh the pros and cons and decide which location fits you and your desired lifestyle and I don't think you'll be disappointed with what you get for what you pay for in London.

Guest shrinkage

I PMed you with the contact info. for the rental agent I dealt with in Masonville Gardens.

Good luck to everyone in finding the most personally suitable "niche". I guess I'm a stick in the mud...but I'm kinda glad to be living far away from the bars. I don't mind hitting them occasionally, but I'd rather not watch (and hear) alcohol's casualties stumbling past my window each week...

:P

Archived