Premed 101 Forums

Laptop or Microsoft Tablet?

Guest Gohan DBZ

Guest Gohan DBZ

Can anyone tell me if a Laptop or Microsoft Tablet will be useful for medical school? Namely, will either help in keeping on top of lectures and other materials?

Secondly, if a Laptop is recommended, is there a particular model that I should check out?

Thanks

Guest aneliz

There is no recommended computer for UWO's med school. Realistically, anything that has internet access will do. We are not that intensive an 'online' school and most of what you will use a computer for is printing PDF files. Some people keep notes on their computers...but not many.

I don't have a laptop...and neither did most of my classmates. Of course it depends on you what you want to do.

Guest Ninja

There are 2-3 people in my class (Meds 2007) that use laptops during lectures. They are very technologically oriented and like to type up their notes. However, this is not necessary.

The vast majority of us just use the note packages we're given and annotate them as the lecture goes on with whatever nuggets of wisdom we're gleaning from the lecture. You'll find you rarely have to write fast and furiously since pretty much everything is in our notes.

PDAs are recommended for our clerkship years and some people do have them in first year, although most tend to buy them after completing first year, either during the summer or in 2nd year itself (there's a PDA sale during 2nd year so you can wait till then if you want).

If I were you, I'd wait. Technology will only get cooler, smaller and cheaper by the time you get near clerkship and I've heard rumblings that there's supposed to be a revolution of sorts in PDA technology in the near future.

Hope that helps!

Guest mdhopeful23

hi,

i just bought a laptop for school. it'll probably stay in my apartment most of the time tho, im not one for typing notes in class...i basically wanted the portablity if i go visit the rents for a weekend, etc.

Guest Gill0927

I'm getting a desk top. I desperately need a new computer, so I'm getting one, and I had the internal debate of laptop versus desktop as well. But I decided, from what I've heard, that I'd go with the (cheaper) desktop, since I won't really need to bring my computer to class (and that'll leave me some money for a PDA in second year!). I have the added bonus (if you could call it that) of a really old @#%$ laptop that I could use if I need/want to for bringing to class and typing up notes. But I don't expect to...(and all you 2008s don't want me to, either -- it's one of the older ones with a pretty loud fan inside).

Anyway, just my two cents...we're spending so much money already, if you need a computer, buy it cheaper if you can, which is normally a desktop!

Gill :b

• 2 weeks later...
Guest peachy

I don't know anything about UWO, but I chose to get a Tablet PC for myself, and I like it a lot! I would like to, eventually, keep all my notes in my computer, though I don't know how that will pan out. It would be nice not to have to lug around big binders, and also to have everything archived on the computer permanently. I do like techy toys in general, though. :)

Guest aneliz

As attractive as the paperless option is...it is not that practical at UWO and you will have to inevitably 'lug around' big binders.

First year notes are largely printed for you (on pretty coloured paper) and you buy your printed notes from the copy centre on campus. These notes are not found any other way...so they won't be available for your laptop. They consist mostly of anatomy diagrams...things that you are going to want to colour (yes...bring your crayons) and label in class... also things that are a little hard to do on a laptop.

You will also want to bring these notes into the anatomy lab for dissections...and I for one wouldn't want my computer anywhere near an anatomy dissection.....

Guest Ninja

Gohan DBZ, are you coming to Western for meds this year? Dragonball Z is a damn cool cartoon. I dunno if you heard but they're making a live action movie based on Dragonball Z. Later!

Archived