Premed 101 Forums

I need some quick advice!

Guest makdaddy08

Guest makdaddy08

HI all

I mailed off my acceptance confirmation to Western a couple weeks ago, and it was received by Western on June 22, right before the 23rd deadline. HOwever, I haven't gotten any confirmation from the school concerning my documents. ANd since the deposit is paid by bank draft, I can't really check whether they've taken the money yet.

I'm a bit worried about the Essay course requirement, which I sent in. I sent a course outline with the essay breakdowns and also sent in the course description from the UofA Calendar. Would the Admissions office, for some reason, deem that evidence not acceptable? I'm a bit worried that they'd take back my offer and I would arrive in London with no spot in the Class..ahha..that would suck...

I emailed the office on Sunday night, but got no response today...I'm planning on calling them tommorow. Any more insight or info? Thanks

Guest T dawg 2004

I sent my acceptance June 14... and i still wouldn't have gotten any confrimation unless i wrote them asking about it.

the essay requirement sounds fine - but if you're really paranoid, just get your prof (or a prof that taught that course) to vouch and say you needed to write an essay for that course - and forward it to Darla McNeil (admissions@fmd.uwo.ca).

don't panic. it's all good. i'm sure you're OK! But calling probably wouldn't hurt, esp if you'll feel better.

T

Guest aneliz

First...I know it is hard to do, but STOP WORRYING! (really...)

I remember the after-you-got-the-acceptance-but-before-you-get-confirmation-of-enrollment doubts....sitting there worrying about how they could possibly take that acceptance away from you...if the whole thing is just a dream...or a mistake...or if you have forgotten to do something....or if the mail/courier didn't get it there on time....or they lost it in the office....

No worries. Everybody is doing the same thing!

Nobody will have gotten any confirmation from UWO that they are registered for next year yet...that will come in early Aug when they send out those @(#@* tuition bills (and you will wish that they were a dream...or a mistake!) or mid-Aug when you get registration/orientation packages. But, if you want to know now that everything is okay, e-mail or call the office...Darla can let you know that it is all good.... I did the summer before I started...and lots of your classmates have already done it.

Guest shrinkage

I have to say that I was a bit disappointed about a similar situation myself.

I asked Darla whether she would send people "confirmatory e-mails" (like the "Everything's Okay Alarm" that Homer Simpson invented, I guess). Apparently, this is not standard practice.

Yes, I know that everyone in the ad. comm./admin. are probably really busy, but I would think that managing a class of 133 would be a lot easier than 500+ applicants that they dealt with previously, right?

Don't get me wrong...I'm not trying to say that the situation is "completely unacceptable" or anything...I just think that it would be a nice touch sending those "Don't worry - be happy, your application is now complete" notifications...t'would would go a long way in improving/maintaining PR.

Guest aneliz

I understand your point of view....but I think that this is probably a hold over from the pre-email era. UWO never send 'confirmations' then (either by mail or phone) so they continue to see no reason to do it now...even though it can be done much more efficiently now that there is widespread e-mail use. That said, Darla has huge issues with applicants e-mails... you would be surprised at the number of people that have e-mail addresses that:

1. Aren't their own

2. Aren't valid (typo)

3. They never check

4. Hotmail/Yahoo accounts that they have lost the password to

5. Forget which of their 87 e-mail addresses are on the OMSAS file

So.....many, many people would miss their confirmation anyway....and then ask the office to resend it....which is what they are doing now...people that ask for an e-mail confirmation are happily given one!

Guest mdhopeful23

hi there,

i had similar worries about my essay requirement. so what i ended up doing was emailing my 'proof' of taking an essay course to the uwo admin office to get approval before sending in all my documents to osap. i also sent my osap stuff courier and tracked it. then, a few days after i was sure they had received my stuff, i emailed the admin office to confirm all this. they did!

it seems a bit much, but it really did help ease my mind. i mean, stuff happens, mistakes happen, paperwork gets lost (i work in an admin environment right now, and lil mistakes do occur here and there, we're human). as long as you're polite and respectful, there's usually no harm in checking up on things like this.

email the admin office. im sure they'll respond. ;)

Guest makdaddy08

Hey guys

THanks for the info and the replies! It's good to know I'm not alone.

But for those of you who are wondering too, I called the admissions office this morning and they were great, and although they're probably really busy now (wiht the July 2nd deadline passed not too long ago), the person who helped me was more than willing to confirm that everything was received and deemed acceptable :D

See you all in the fall!

Guest tweep0

Hi fellow 2008 Western meds students,

My situation was very simple. I sent all my letters including essay confirmation, conditional acceptance, and my $1000 deposit via XpressPost and so I could track whether UWO received it. Then I just followed up with an e-mail asking whether admissions had received it and if it was sufficient. I received a confirmation e-mail within 1-2 days. I think its very simple to e-mail them instead of expecting them to send an unrequested e-mail. It saves a lot of time and stress; something we don't need right now. Good luck.

Tweep

Archived