Premed 101 Forums

First Aid and CPR

Guest Gill0927

Guest Gill0927

Hi all,

Another question for everyone -- I'm looking into Standard First Aid/ CPR courses, and I'm going to be taking a St. John's Ambulance course, that comes with Standard FA and CPR 'A' (basic, one-rescuer CPR). I know all the stuff for advanced CPR (I'm certified in Israel, where I worked as a medic/EMT for a couple summers), but I'll only be certified (in Canada) in CPR 'A'. Is this okay for Western? Or should I opt to take the extra session (xtra time and money) to do CPR 'C' (standard CPR, all variations)?

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

Gill :b

Guest Gill0927

Hi,

Where does it say 'CPR-C'? That's what I can't find! Everywhere I look, what I find is:

"Applicants should complete a St. John Ambulance course or the equivalent in standard first aid and a CPR Basic Rescuer course, and be able to produce valid certificates before enrolment in the medical program."

So, until I can find where it says 'CPR-C', I guess my question is still out there...

Thanks,

Gill :b

Guest JSS02

For what it's worth, the card I have from St. John Ambulance says that I have completed a course in "Safety Oriented First Aid - Std. FA + Basic Rescuer CPR." Doesn't mention CPR-A or CPR-C.

Guest Ninja

CPR must be recertified every year. Check your card, it should say the expiry date. I would think certification from 2002 would be expired by now.

As far as which certification to get for the start of medical school, it can't hurt to have Level C CPR and First Aid. I think that's what most people get. In fact, I would think we should all seek to have ample life-saving skills since we're medical students and doctors-to-be. If that doesn't convince you, all I have to say is better safe than sorry!

Edited the angry face...you can edit your own posts by hitting 'edit' under your username. The angry face is produce by typing > : (without the space between the > and : ) . To remove it, just delete those characters.

Guest Ninja

Please ignore that angry face. I'm not sure how that appeared there but I didn't type it in and I don't know how to edit that out. My post wasn't intended to be angered in any way.

Guest aneliz

UWO requires that you have CURRENT certificates for both Standard First Aid (not Emergency First Aid) and Basic Rescuer CPR (which is level C as someone already noted). CPR-A is not sufficient as it includes adult only and does not provide any instruction in child and infant CPR... which you will also need to know. They will check to make sure that your certificates are current (not expired) at registration. If you have a certificate from a course that you have done previously, check the expiry date on the certificate. You may be able to do a 'refresher' course with SJA rather than having to re-do the entire course.

Guest Gohan DBZ

Standart First Aid and Basic Rescuer course offered by Red Cross is $110, while SJA charges $159. I am quite sure the one offered by Red Cross is acceptable.

Hope this helps.

Guest premeditated

I did my St. John's training two weeks ago. I took the 2-day, CPR-C course, and it was brimming with pre-meds. To the best of my knowledge, CPR-C is the necessary course, for reasons made clear by aneliz.

That said, you must be recertified every *3* years though they recommend taking the refresher anually.

Guest premeditated

www.sja.ca/toronto/standard.htm

Or for the lazy :) , I quote:

"Standard First Aid and Basic Rescuer CPR are combined to create one course for convenience. Annual retraining in CPR is recommended. A recognized prerequisite for medical, dental, nursing, police, fire and ambulance programs. Nationally recognized certificates, valid for three years, are issued upon successful completion."

Guest mying

First Aid "expires" every 3 years. This is the rule for all WSIB-approved first aid training.

CPR never actually "expires." Most individual workplaces and schools insist upon annual recertification anyways, thus the UWO request for CPR training in the past 12 months. Most training organizations will only let you take the cheaper, shorter, refresher course if it's been less than 13 months. Believe you me, unless you are routinely practising and using them skills you're going to be verrrry rusty before the 12 months are up. We did a pseudo-experiment on this with a bunch of 2007s during an emergency medicine interest group meeting in around February of this year. You forget a lot in a few months.

Any organization that offers WSIB-approved training is likely to be acceptable as a substitute of St. John Ambulance training, though be sure you're getting the SFA and CPR-C. Because WSIB bases its standards for approval on the St. John Ambulance curriculum, usually you can interpret "WSIB-approved" to mean the same thing as "equivalent to St. John Ambulance." However, the ultimate decision rests with the UWO FoMD, so call them up FIRST to be sure.

Archived