Premed 101 Forums

Housing?

Guest T dawg 2004

Guest T dawg 2004

Hello!

I was wondering if any of the moderators and UWO students had any suggestions about housing/accommodations. It looks like i'm going to be looking at picking up a lease starting in August.

Does any one have any insight as to what areas of London I should stick to - or any parts that I'm to stay away from?

T

Guest therealcrackers

East of Adelaide is a bit sketchy...

common med student areas are Proudfoot (apartments), Masonville (apartments and townhouses), Richmond Row (apartments and houses), and a few people are scattered around the rest of London. Most of the city is safe; being close to the university puts premium prices on things unless you're lucky enough to get the campus-run apartments (but you have to have been at UWO for at least 1 year to get into the lottery for those). The "student ghetto" near Huron and Richmond is mostly for undergrads... but there are also apartments on Richmond Street across the river from campus and a couple of the buildings there aren't bad.

See also the e-mail I sent to your ez INbox.

Guest kooty

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could provide some insight regarding cost. While I was interviewing, I billeted with some students (who were awesome, btw) who stayed in Masonville and they said it worked out to about $475/mo per person if you have a room mate. This seemed like a pretty fantastic location to me, but how do other apartments fair in cost relative to eachother? I'm quite sure that I"ll be heading out to Western :)

Thanks.

Guest aneliz

$475 is about the absolute lowest you can expect to pay in Masonville...many of the apartments are ~$950-1000 for a 2 bedroom...or $1200 if you have a 3 bedroom. And...you pay for hydro/phone/cable/internet on top of that. Hydro can get very expensive - they have electric heat.

People living in basements of houses generally pay less - as low as ~$300 per month...and the people paying the most are the ones living in one-bedroom apts downtown (~$900/mo)

Most people are probably paying ~$500-$525 per month (if they have a roommate and once all of the utilities and bills are paid). I live in Masonville, and have a roommate.

We pay $880 in rent + ~$60 per month for phone + $20-150 (summer vs. winter) per month in hydro + $100 per month for cable and internet. Total = ~$1000 per month.

Happy hunting!

Guest kooty

Hi Aneliz..

Thanks for your quick reply! The people who live in basements, are those generally closer or farther from campus? I can't remember if there was a lot of residential areas around Western.

Also, can you tell me when you generally finish school?

Thanks!

Guest aneliz

People living in basements are generally in the Ambleside area (fairly close to school, just west of Western road, north of Windermere) or south of campus on the #2 dundas bus route. There are not too many people that fall in this category...but it is a fairly cheap option if you are open to it.

I assume by 'what time you generally finish school' you are refering to time of day...

We are generally done for the day ~4 PM...although by the time you get out of class, get to your locker, check your e-mail and get home, it is generally approaching 5:00...and that is assuming that you don't stay for afterschool events (clubs meetings, specialty talks, tachy practice, intramural sports etc) If you are staying for other stuff, it could be as late as 10-11 at night...although most immediately afterschool events are usually done by 6:30ish...but tachy and intramurals generally occur later (8-10ish) and may be as late as 12:30 or 1 AM.

Guest kooty

Haha, whoops, sorry aneliz. I was actually referring to month and week of when a year is considered complete, exams and all

thanks

Guest UWOMED2005

In third year, you finish in May.

Of the following year!

ie I started clerkship in September 2003. I work straight through to August 2004, at which point I start 4th year. 4th year is over at the beginning of May - so I don't get a break until May 2005, when I graduate. From September of 3rd year you are working straight for over 20 months!

Guest therealcrackers

In London, most of the places that rent to students will have 12-month leases, from May to April 30 being the most common. Because meds has a different calendar, this is a little problematic --- September to August 31 leases happen in a few places, as do July to June leases. Check with anywhere you go see when the lease starts and ends --- this year, meds2008 STARTS on August 30 and will end in early June, so figure that into your planning. Happy hunting!

PS. My lease runs July to June 30. Just in case you were curious... ;)

Guest aneliz

Some do....although not the majority. I know of ~10-15 in my class that own rather than rent...and 4 of them are married and have a spouse that is earning $$$. The others, either they or their parents bought the place and they rent to other classmates to fill the place.

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, I've got a few classmates (probably same ballpark as aneliz) who've bought a townhouse or condo. Usually it involves parental backing (or somehow working it such that the mortgage is written off as a business expense, in one case) but seems to be a smart move if you can swing it.

Better to invest in property than through money away on rent.

Guest Emila

I've got two rooms in a house near Wharncliffe and Oxford. Under 2km to campus, 8-10min bus ride, 7 min drive, 30 min walk. Share bathroom with one other student and share kitchen, dining room, living room. $400 + utilities.

Email me if you're interested or if you have questions:

shutchi6@uwo.ca

Shirley

Meds 2007

Guest mgupta

Hey Shirley/Emila

Just wanted to let you know i've moved your post about the housing to the housing classifieds. your post will likely get more exposure that way.

:)

Archived