Premed 101 Forums

So....no rejections and no idea where we are on the list?

Guest md23

Guest md23

It seems that no one has been rejected and that we who haven't been accepted have all been placed on the waitlist? I was wondering if at anytime Western will provide info about your position on the waitlist. Queen's has said they will give you an idea after the major movement dates (june 14th and july 2nd). Also, does anyone know the rational for not providing waitlist info? Thanks,

and happy waiting........wow does this suck!

Guest aneliz

UWO will NEVER give waitlist info - for a couple of reasons.

1. If they did, they would have to deal with hundreds of calls/e-mails each week as EVERYBODY tried to figure out where they were, how much they had moved and what their chances are. The office just can't cope with that...because it is really unpredictable to try and guess 'what the chances are' with any particular rank.

2. There is no real value in knowing your number - because you never know how much the list is going to move anyway and it is ALWAYS changing. You may be #30 right now, but by the time they get the little green cards back, you may be #3 because everybody ahead of you, except #4, 17 and 25 decided to go elsewhere. It is also fairly unpredictable how much the list might move....if they told you that you were #178, you might decide you didn't want to stay on the waitlist....but you never know what might happen....they may get to you (even though there are usually only ~100 waitlist offers....because people ahead of you dropped off the list and didn't get an offer) so they are scared that people would drop off the list prematurely because they think that there is no hope (when there is).

3. It would suck to know that you are next on the list (or 2nd in line) and never get the call...ignorance is bliss...because somebody is inevitably the 'first runner up' when the class is filled. Less painful to not know that it was you.

Guest jwalker

sorry, i wasn't sure if it was implied that it was true that no one was outright rejected... so yeah just wondering again did anyone actually get a letter saying that they were rejected... thanks

Guest Steve U of T

An absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. On the waitlist letter, the line that says "it was recommended, however, that your name be placed on our Wait List", implies that some people may not have received this honour. If waiting list letters were only sent on Friday, it is unlikely anybody would have received a rejection yet. In another thread, somebody said they contacted the admissions office, and were told that rejected applicants will not receive any correspondence. That seems a little unlikely, and may have been a misunderstanding, although it's also pretty unlikely that they waitlisted over 300 people.

Guest 2 plus 2 is 4

When I called the admissions office last week they also told me that rejected applicants will not be receiving a letter.

Guest CareBear15

I've found UWO's actions very odd this year. I think UWO has always been known to be good with correspondence and treating their applicants well.

Why can't schools just give straight up answers?

Guest aneliz

The reasons for the 'odd' behaviour from UWO are basically this:

1. Short staffed office - they are down the main admin person that used to answer phones/deal with questions in past years - she retired in February and was only replaced two weeks ago. The replacement is not yet trained and has little idea (as expected) about what is going on. The remaining staff are scrambling as fast as possible, but there are delays over other years and information may not be as consistent as before because it is coming from multiple staff members rather than the one that had done it for years.

2. Major meltdown in printing letters - IT screwed up. The waitlist letters did NOT get printed when they were supposed to and that was the reason for the delay...this has not happened before but given reason #1 above, it also took longer than it would have in past years to solve this problem.

The attitude has not changed at UWO from past years...there have just been some significant (and unplanned) meltdowns in the office.

Archived