Premed 101 Forums

Hotels in Ottawa

Guest hydes79

Guest AliatUofT

Hey hydes

there are only 2or 3 hotels that i know of that are close to the med school/hospital area.

one is the Chimo Hotel which is off the Queensway (417) and St. Laurent. It is a nice hotel and its around 100-115 bucks a night.

there is also Days Inn or Comfort INN besides the chimo hotel, not sure how much it costs.

and lastly there is another one off the 417 and Riverside.

honestly any hotel in Ottawa will do, its really a small city, u can get from one end to the other within 10-15 min.

but any of those 3 should be ok because its like a 5 min drive

and the traffic isnt too bad

hope that helps

Ali

Guest treehuggingbiologist

See if you can get a room in one of the Ottawa U residences. Or even the Carleton Residences - they have a shuttle service that runs directly to and from Ottawa U.

Guest Talon01

Howdy!

First of all, congrats on the interview!

I stayed at the Rotel Motel when I came to Ottawa for my interview last year. It's ridiculously cheap (27 bucks a night) and it's a 5 minute WALK from RGN (where your interview is). There is no other place closer. When you call, make sure you tell them you've got a medical school interview (if they ask why you're staying there). It's a non-profit motel which offers a cheap place to stay to individuals who have loved ones in any one of the numerous hospitals.

www.rotel.ca/ <--- website

You can also contact students who have generously offered a place for interviewees to stay.

Good luck!

• 1 year later...

I'd stay as close to RGN as you can. Your 2 best options would be to contact a current UO student who has offered to billet individuals who are interviewing or to stay at the Rotel. Staying with a student would allow you to discuss the program, the city, and any questions you might have.

Good luck!

I'd stay as close to RGN as you can. Your 2 best options would be to contact a current UO student who has offered to billet individuals who are interviewing or to stay at the Rotel. Staying with a student would allow you to discuss the program, the city, and any questions you might have.

Good luck!

Thanks Talon! however, i have friends at ottawa that i have discussed the city/school with, and really just want a decent hotel to get a good night's sleep in. any suggestions re hotels in the area?

honestly any hotel in Ottawa will do, its really a small city, u can get from one end to the other within 10-15 min.

That's not quite true. It takes about an hour to get from one end to the other.

Geographically, the NCR isn't much smaller than the GTA. The major difference is population density.

Traffic's not bad but can get pretty slow on the 417 near downtown between ~3-6.

That's not quite true. It takes about an hour to get from one end to the other.

Geographically, the NCR isn't much smaller than the GTA. The major difference is population density.

Traffic's not bad but can get pretty slow on the 417 near downtown between ~3-6.

How long would you say it takes to drive from downtown to RGN at ~7:30am?

Edit: mapquest says 10 mins but im not sure how much i trust that...

Hey,

How long it takes somewhat depends on what side of the canal you stay on. I live in what is known as "the golden triangle" (if that means anything to you) and so I need to cross the canal every day. Pretoria bridge is under contruction (has been since the fall...don`t know when they will be done) and with the lane reduction it is pretty slow getting accross in the mornings.

For the route I take 7:30 in the morning isn`t bad but 8:30 is still on the busy side. But at it's busiest I don`t think it has ever taken me longer than 20 minutes to get to school. When it isn`t so busy it takes me 10-15 minutes.

If you are taking the highway it is true that traffic can be heavy in Ottawa, but it is nothing like TO rush hour if that is what you are used to. I have never been stuck just sitting on the highway here.

I am not so familiar with hotels in Ottawa...but I would agree that you could stay almost anywhere is Ottawa and be fine.

Congratulations and good luck to everyone on their interviews!!

Sats

Thanks everyone for all your help! I think I will stay downtown, on the east side of the canal, so i can get a feel for the city. I am very excited! I haven't been to Ottawa since I was little (and all i remember is making jewellery at sassy bead company :o ).

Archived