Premed 101 Forums

Full Course Load

Guest codloghorn

Guest codloghorn

what does a full course load consist of? if i took 30 credits in one year, but i took 4.5 courses in one semester and 5 courses in another semester, is that considered a full course load. i noticed it said that the courses must be taken "concurrently." so i was just wondering what this means and if i'm ok with what i took. thank you. :)

Guest aneliz

A full course load is 30 credits, 10 regular half courses, 5 full weight, full year courses or 5.0 credits...depending on how your school works...

It doesn't matter how you split them up during the year as long as you have the total completed between Sept-April (summer courses don't count). If you really wanted to, you could take 3 half courses one semester and 7 the next...and that would be fine, because the total is still 10. As long as your 9.5 courses add up to a total weight of 30 credits, it should be fine as a full-time year...however, if you had 10 courses that added up to <30 credits, that year would still not be considered full-time even though you had 10 courses because they all weren't 'full-weight'.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

When you say you took 4.5 then 5 courses per semester, I assume you mean a total of 9.5 half-courses from September to May? If so, then for Western's selection purposes, that year would not count as a year with a full course load. A year with a full course load, as defined by Western, would be an undergraduate year (September to May) that contains a total of 5.0 full credits, or 10.0 half-courses with a weight of 0.5 each.

Conversely, other universities, e.g., Queen's, Calgary and Ottawa, to name a few, would consider an academic year with 9.5 half-courses to be a year with a full course load.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived