Premed 101 Forums

'whitecoat' ceremony?

Guest mdhopeful23

Guest mdhopeful23

hi, ive heard something about a whitecoat ceremony being mentioned from time to time. what exactly is it?

just curious :)

Guest aneliz

The whitecoat ceremony is the first thing that you will do as a med student at UWO. It is meant to be a 'welcome' ceremony....

Here is an overview of what happens:

1. You pay your O-week fees, get your frosh kit and mingle with your classmates (ie meet them for the first time)

2. You head into the auditorium and sit, in alphabetical order with your classmates. Your parents, friends, siblings, significant others, etc that you bring with you sit in their own section.

3. There will be several people that speak: the Dean, the associate Dean, the assistant Dean of undergrad ed, the admissions committee chair, the student council president, the o-week co-ordinators, etc. They will all basically welcome you UWO and let you know how fantastic the next 4 years are going to be. They also give you all of the 'stats' on your class (ie how many applied, how many interviewed, how many offers, male:female ratio, number of grad students, number of people from each undergrad school, number of married students, oldest/youngest in the class, etc)

4. Then the 'white coat' aspect starts up...you will be called individually (in alpha order) up to the front where the Dean (or one of the associate/assistant Deans) will put your white coat on you for the first time (photo-op for the parents)..when everyone has their whitecoat, everyone in the class stands and recites a modified Hippocratic oath together.

5. Next they hand out the big money scholarships to those that have won them...

Next is the reception....time for you, your parents and your classmates and their parents to all mingle with each other and dine on some outstanding sandwiches and snacks. You will also have your student card done during this time. Then you meet up with your O-week leaders and groups...your parents disappear...and the fun begins!

The white coat ceremony is a nice 'official' start to med school and a great opportunity for you and your parents to enjoy your success at getting in...parents love the photo-ops...

Guest mydream88

sounds dreamy aneliz!

thanks for painting the picture of the white-coat ceremony so clearly!

mydream88:)

Guest mdhopeful23

wow, that sounds really nice. what a great way to aknowledge the hard work it took to get into med. usually, you don't get such special treatment until you're leaving an institution. :)

so is this unique to western?

Guest MikeD

Nope, most (maybe all) schools in North America (and maybe everywhere else too) have a similar Whitecoat ceremony. Some follow it up with the infamous "burning the whitecoat" ceremony after 4th year...most likely in places where there is short-coat versus long-coat tension :)

By the way, are the whitecoats short?

Guest UWOMED2005

I tie-dyed mine.

Well, ok that's a lie. . . but I have yet to wear mine to anything of any clinical significance.

I brought it to my first orthopedics elective in 1st year. . . and they made fun of me.

Guest aneliz

I know that many US schools have a white coat ceremony...and I believe that one other in Ontario does...(not sure which) but it is NOT common at Canadian schools (at least it wasn't when I applied).

Archived