Premed 101 Forums

deleted

sorry in advance if this is an unhelpful answer, but i think the only thing i can really say in response to your question is maybe, unfortunately :/ as you said, contacting admissions would likely be the best course of action, especially since they would ideally be able to appraise from that course description whether or not it should fit their "Chemistry" requirements. personally it sounds like to me that it would fit the prerequisite (i think my general chemistry course was similar in its content) but i can't give you a definitive answer since i'm obviously not part of admissions hehe

the only advice i would have after reading that course description though is that if you are taking the chemistry prerequisite in order to apply to ottawa, make sure that taking this elementary chemistry course doesn't disqualify you from taking organic chemistry or biochemistry courses in the future, as they are also part of the course requirements for the MD program (since in the course description you posted, it says that the course is intended for students who "are not intending to take upper year chemistry")

also, from personal experience, i've emailed MD admissions with questions many times in the past and they've always been really kind and helpful in their responses!! c:

If it helps you, these 2 course descriptions together (cegep's General Chemistry and Chemistry of Solutions) are equivalent to the 3-credit Chemistry prereq for uOttawa.

General chemistry introduces students to the principal concepts underlying the structures of atoms and molecules and relates atomic structure to the periodicity in the properties of the elements. The characteristics of the chemical bonds which hold the atoms in the molecules and descriptive chemistry are discussed in this laboratory-oriented course.

Chemistry of Solutions provides an introduction to the behaviour of ionic and molecular substances in solution, to equilibrium principles and to acid-base concepts. Electro-chemical principles and the major concepts governing why and how chemical reactions occur in solutions are discussed in this laboratory-oriented course.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 10:58 PM, Sidewalk said:

Hi there, sorry for the late late response but thank you for your answer. Do you know where I can find the proper email about this?

Also, do prerequisites need to be complete or in progress by the time I apply? i.e. if I  wanted to hold off on Ochem until the summer before I matriculate.

TIA

hi!! it's no problem at all, i'm super happy to be of help :lol:

the email you can reach them at for admissions-related questions is admissmd@uottawa.ca, it can also be found at the bottom of your browser's webpage if you're looking at anything in the "Admissions" section of their faculty of medicine website

and regarding your question about prerequisites, as the other commenter said, you can complete them during your application year but not the summer before matriculating!! i believe they would verify your transcripts to confirm this if you were to be granted acceptance

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2021 at 2:38 AM, Sidewalk said:

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I got this extremely unhelpful response, so it shall remain a mystery.

"I wish to inform you that we no longer have course descriptions for our prerequisites and no list for the ones that are recognized.  The content of the course that you wish to list as a required prerequisite must be based  on that specific course. It is the candidate's responsibility to verify the prerequisites.  No exceptions will be accepted for the prerequisite courses. As stated on our website at the following address https://med.uottawa.ca/undergraduate/admissions/application-process/eligibility-requirements Course requirements mandatory: Note: Units are equivalent to credits. 6 units in humanities /Social Sciences (see examples) 6 units in Biology (we also accept Anatomy and Physiology courses) 3 units in Organic Chemistry 3 units in Chemistry 3 units in Biochemistry 3 units in Statistics Note: 3 units (credits) are equivalent to a one(1) semester course, and 6 units (credits) are equivalent to either one full-year course or two semester-long courses. Lab requirement: The laboratory requirements can be met by either having 6-units-worth of courses (indicated above in item 1) that include a laboratory component and/or by having completed additional course(s) up to 6 units that are exclusively laboratory-based https://med.uottawa.ca/undergraduate/admissions/application-process/eligibility-requirements . The Humanities or Social Sciences requirements can be completed by any courses that have no relations to Science.  For i.e. Sociology, Psychology, Math, Religion, Administration, English Literature, English Writing... Please note that language/second language courses would not be accepted. Thank you for your interest in our MD Program."

Thanks anyway

ah yeah sorry about that -- i guess you just have to give it your best guess since they can't completely confirm on their side whether the courses would be sufficient or not :/ i hope whatever you take works out and wishing you all the best for any future applications!!!

• Sidewalk changed the title to deleted