Premed 101 Forums

Dental Schools in Australia and Ireland

Hi everyone! I'm doing my undergrad degree at the moment and I'm considering going abroad to study dentistry! I just recently found out that there are some graduate schools in Australia that are 4 years long if you have an undergrad degree (which I plan on getting).

I know there has been lots of discussion on this but I wanted to start a discussion about what option is best if I'm interested in in studying abroad and wanting to come back to practice in Canada.

I am genuinely interested in studying abroad and I'm not trying to "pay my way through dental school". That being said, my family and I do have the finances for me to study abroad. 

I have also considered schools in the States but I feel that the problem with US schools is that they have a different standard for each school. I know some schools that don't offer enough practice and students coming back from there have a hard time finding a job with the little experience that they have recieved at that school. On top of that, the exchange rate is quite high and is probably more expensive than schools in Australia and in Ireland (I would imagine).

I have heard multiple times that Australia has some of the top rated dental/ medical schools!

Is anyone in the same position? I would love to hear some opinions on this! Also, I would love any advice from students who are studying abroad or have come back to practice!

On 2/11/2021 at 12:55 PM, Diamond said:

Hi everyone! I'm doing my undergrad degree at the moment and I'm considering going abroad to study dentistry! I just recently found out that there are some graduate schools in Australia that are 4 years long if you have an undergrad degree (which I plan on getting).

I know there has been lots of discussion on this but I wanted to start a discussion about what option is best if I'm interested in in studying abroad and wanting to come back to practice in Canada.

I am genuinely interested in studying abroad and I'm not trying to "pay my way through dental school". That being said, my family and I do have the finances for me to study abroad. 

I have also considered schools in the States but I feel that the problem with US schools is that they have a different standard for each school. I know some schools that don't offer enough practice and students coming back from there have a hard time finding a job with the little experience that they have recieved at that school. On top of that, the exchange rate is quite high and is probably more expensive than schools in Australia and in Ireland (I would imagine).

I have heard multiple times that Australia has some of the top rated dental/ medical schools!

Is anyone in the same position? I would love to hear some opinions on this! Also, I would love any advice from students who are studying abroad or have come back to practice!

What is the price difference in going to the US vs Australia? If you are willing to go to the US many of the schools that accept Canadians do a great job educating their students. If you do go to Australia, you will be limited to Australia and Canada (and maybe some other countries that have reciprocal agreements with Australia) in where you can practice. If you go to the US, you can practice in more places and will have less limitations. Depends on your future aspirations and goals...