Premed 101 Forums

Western OMSAS Qs

Guest Lactic Folly

Guest Lactic Folly

Hello Western people,

1) Anyone know if references and autobiographical sketch will be given the same low level of consideration this year as before?

2) I'm only applying to Western, so that means no verifiers are needed for the autobiographical sketch or anywhere else, correct?

3) Under postsecondary education, it says to indicate prerequisite courses for Western - do you just type 'Prereq' next to the course name?

Also, I will be using transfer credit for IB English to satisfy the essay course req.. does that go into OMSAS at all, and if so, how?

Thanks for your help.. I appreciate it!

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I'll try to answer your questions...

1. Probably, but your autobiographical sketch/extracurricular activities will form a significant component of your interview.

2. I guess, but doesn't it say in the OMSAS application proper that verifiers are required for each entry of your autobiographical sketch? You may not want to find this out the hard way.

3. I'm not too familiar with what the application looks like nowadays, but there s/b a section where you can check or indicate which courses are prereqs for UWO.

I have no idea about your last question. aneliz?

Hope this helped a little.

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest JSS02

I don't know if things have changed now, but back when we applied, wasn't U of T the only school that needed verifiers for the autobiographical sketch (the list of 48)? I think the other schools just needed verifiers for anything you mention in your application essay. Also, and I dunno if this has changed either, the panel didn't have a copy of our sketch during the interview... they had our name and OMSAS ID, but that was it.

Guest lcloh

In response to your last question, this is how it was done our year - you type in your course, and there should be a drop-down box with all the different choices for prereq codes (something like "B"- Western Biology) or something like that. Western's pre req codes were B, O, and W.

So what you do is this. Say you're entering your Organic Chemistry requirement.

The course code is 101.

The course name is Introductory Organic Chemistry.

The course pre-requisite, drop down box, would be O- Organic Chemistry.

Fill out the rest, your mark, etc. and then click OK.

It should show up in your course listing as follows:

Session F/W 2002

O CHEM 101 ORGANIC CHEMISTRY 094 4.0

Or whatever.

Multiple pre-reqs can show up as follows:

BL BIO 101 BIOLOGY 101 4.0

the B and L indicate it's a prereq fulfillment at two or more schools.

I don't know if things have changed. But if this looks remotely possible, then it hasn't and this is the way you should do it. Try filling in your courses first and look for the drop down box!

With regards to transfer credits - I had to get an original transcript for my GCE "A" Levels to be sent from Cambridge to OMSAS... I don't know if IB would be something similiar.

Guest aneliz

I agree with all of the previous answers....and I handed in a copy of my highschool transcript directly to UWO at my interview to use my high school english...

You might want to check with the admissions office for sure...but I imagine that it would be something similar...they may not want it with your application but may request it later, like at the time of your interview...but it never hurts to be on top of things...

Try giving the office a call next week (Darla is supposed to be on vacation this week...)

Good luck!

Guest aneliz

I don't know what the OMSAS application looks like this year....(not having looked at it!)....keep in mind that all of the moderators that have responded filled out OMSAS applications 2-3 application cycles ago...and things very well could have changed in that amount of time with regards to set-up/logistics of inputing your data.

If you followed the current set of OMSAS instructions to the letter you should be fine... I would suggest that you check the current OMSAS instruction booklet to determine if you filled out the application correctly.

Good luck!

Guest Lactic Folly

Thanks everyone for your posts.. definitely helps with this drawn-out process :)

If anyone else is wondering - OMSAS just removed the instructions about indicating prerequisite courses, so that is no longer required.

Guest Lactic Folly

Not at all.. the instructions were there only a few days ago (sans drop down menu), which is why I asked. OMSAS just took them out 0] Afraid we didn't get to make use of your instructions lcloh, but the time taken to type everything out is appreciated nonetheless ;)

Archived