Premed 101 Forums

Question regarding course level

Guest Alexa

Guest Alexa

Hi! I'm going into fourth year undergrad (UofT) in September and am taking a fifth year to improve my GPA. I will be applying to UWO in fifth year.

In fourth year, I am taking 3.5 fourth year courses and 1.5 second year courses.

In fifth year, I am taking 2.0 fourth year courses, 2.5 third year courses and 0.5 second year courses.

Should I take more fourth or third year courses in fourth year? Should all my courses in fifth year be at the fourth year level?

Thanks

Guest therealcrackers

AFAIK, all of your courses in fifth year do not have to be at the fourth year level. However, Western considers senior courses to be second-year or higher at some institutions, and third-year or higher at others, and I don't know/remember which are which. You should be OK with your course selections (because there are no first-year courses on there), but the best thing you can do is mail, e-mail or call the admissions office to confirm your picks. Either that or one of the admissions reps from last year will quickly correct me...

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

You'll be fine so long as you don't stack your schedule with first-year courses. Maybe aneliz can offer a little more insight.

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest aneliz

Here is the official word from the Faculty of Med and Dent website:

"Special years will only be considered if they contain five full or equivalent courses (30 credit hours) with a minimum of four full or equivalent courses at the honors level (which at Western are numbered 200 or higher). Honors level courses at Western numbered 200 are equivalent to third year courses at all other universities. First year courses are not acceptable in the ‘special year'. "

Archived