Premed 101 Forums

Second Bachelor's Degree

Guest biczippome

Guest biczippome

Does anyone know if you need to retake prereqs for UWO Med if you were to complete a second bachelor's degree? For example, you completed all the prereqs in your first degree, but because your GPA was not high enough. You complete a 2nd bachelor's degree. Would you need to complete prereqs again in your 2nd bachelor's even though you have completed them already in the first bachelor's degree.

Also, does the 15 credits requirement for UWO Med hold for the second degree? If you have completed a first degree already, and you take an accelerated second bachelor's degree program (say, 2 years in length) that, even when you graduate, will not provide you with 15 credits (since it is only 2 years, and thus only 10 credits total), would you still be able to make the requirement for UWO Med (since the 15 credits requirement was satisfied with the first degree)?

Thanks.

Guest aneliz

Well, you will probably want to consult the admissions office to find out the answer *for sure* but I can give you what I know...

1. If you complete a second degree you do not have to redo the pre-reqs... All western cares is that you have passed them at some point in your life.

2. If you complete a new degree, you will use the GPA from your new degree...you will not be able to go back and use years from your first degree for GPA purposes.

3. You cannot mix and match years between degrees for GPA...so you will need to complete at least two full years of your new degree (10 credits) to be eligible to start at UWO...you may apply during your second year of your new degree because, I believe, unless anything has changed, that you are only required to have completed 15 credits in your life to be eligible to register...and your first degree should take care of that for you....

You will want to verify all of this with official sources though!

Good luck!

Guest biczippome

Thanks aneliz!

I was able to verify the first two points you said in your reply, and they are true. However, with the last point, the admissions people still have not given me a clear answer on. They keep on saying that I need 15 credits and that is somehow tied to the regular academic year (Sept to April). It is all very confusing. I mean, would the following scenario work:

Year 1: 3 credits

Summer 1: 2 credits

Year 2: 5 credits

Year 3: 5 credits (and applies during this year)

-------------------------

You still have a total of 15 credits when u are ready to enter med school.

Hey biczippome:

I don't know about this year or next year, but I interviewed for 2002 admission during my 3rd year of a second degree. I don't think that summer is considered a regular academic year. For sure I needed at least 3 years (applying during my 3rd full time year) in a new degree for my new degree to count for the GPA. Hope that helps,

Sil

Guest aneliz

Hey,

I am not too sure on the exact logistics of applying during a second degree (seeing as it wasn't applicable to me!)...

As far as I know, you need to have 15 credits completed....but I don't know if you can get by with 10 credits from your new degree and 5 from your old one to make up this requirement.

Make sure you ask admissions the question that you want answered...otherwise they tend to give you the 'standard answers' to save on time.

I would ask something like the following:

"If I am completing a second undergraduate degree, can I apply during the second year of my new degree or do I have to wait until during my third year?"

Sorry that I am not more help....

Guest biczippome

Thanks Sil and Aneliz for your replies.

With the above scenario I pointed out, if one was applying from a first degree, would that have been enough to meet the UWO med requirements?

If the answer is yes, then if my second degree only requires me to complete 10 credits in total, I could apply in my 2nd year (also the final year) of my second degree and transfer 5 credits from the old one (even though I don't need them for the program and I will transfer 5 credits that I did during Sept-April in one of the years from my previous degree to satisfy the UWO requirements).

Any more comments/thoughts would be highly appreciated.

Archived