Premed 101 Forums

Ressources for interview for MED-P McGill 2021

futuredoc43

Hi everyone, 

I applied to Med-P and I was wondering if you know any ressources for good interview prep for Med-P. They can be anything from groups, online sites (free or paying), student from the program who are willing to train applicants, etc etc. French and English are both good for me, although I'll do my interview in French, (if I get one). Do you have any experience with interview prep, and if so what would you advice me to do? Tips and tricks? :) 

Thank you very much! 

Hey there, 

Personally, I also applied to Med-P this semester at McGill and I'm hoping to get an interview. Imma share what I use/plan on using if I get an interview:

1) one thing I've been hearing a lot about in the forums is the canmeds (https://www.royalcollege.ca/rcsite/canmeds/canmeds-framework-e). If you don't know about it, it'd be important if you give it a look to know what they are looking for in the interview. 

2) I googled some sample MMI questions and basically, gave myself a timer, filmed myself answering, and then watched the clip to see how I did (I noticed some ticks I have when I'm nervous, poor wording, etc.) If you know people in the health field, you could also get their feedback (Sadly I don't know any).

3) I heard great things about this book, but I didn't buy it yet (I want to make sure I actually get the interview before buying):

https://www.amazon.ca/Medical-School-Interviews-Practical-Mini-multi/dp/1905812051/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422215371&sr=8-1&keywords=medical+school+interviews

I hope this helped. Don't hesitate to DM if you have more questions! I'm in the same situation as you here so feel free if you wanna chat too!

There's also a bunch of books on MMIs that you can buy or find for free their pdf versions online. I don't know any or have any particular recommandation other than the one above.

Edited by TheDude

2 hours ago, TheDude said:

Hey there, 

Personally, I also applied to Med-P this semester at McGill and I'm hoping to get an interview. Imma share what I use/plan on using if I get an interview:

1) one thing I've been hearing a lot about in the forums is the canmeds (https://www.royalcollege.ca/rcsite/canmeds/canmeds-framework-e). If you don't know about it, it'd be important if you give it a look to know what they are looking for in the interview. 

2) I googled some sample MMI questions and basically, gave myself a timer, filmed myself answering, and then watched the clip to see how I did (I noticed some ticks I have when I'm nervous, poor wording, etc.) If you know people in the health field, you could also get their feedback (Sadly I don't know any).

3) I heard great things about this book, but I didn't buy it yet (I want to make sure I actually get the interview before buying):

https://www.amazon.ca/Medical-School-Interviews-Practical-Mini-multi/dp/1905812051/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422215371&sr=8-1&keywords=medical+school+interviews

I hope this helped. Don't hesitate to DM if you have more questions! I'm in the same situation as you here so feel free if you wanna chat too!

There's also a bunch of books on MMIs that you can buy or find for free their pdf versions online. I don't know any or have any particular recommandation other than the one above.

Thank you very much! I might actually contact you haha ! I want to start prepping in advance, so I don't have to rush in April (I try to be optimistic and think I'll get one, I think I have some chances but you never really know) :) 

I practices situations with Canmeds a lot for the CASPer, so that aspect I should be good. Filming myself is a good idea too, especially once you get over that strange feeling, yourself being the best critic, I think you can really improve. 

I also watched a lot of videos online from many different sources (American med students, US MD schools, **DELETED**), but I think that their still is an importance nuance between American/Panel-like and/or Ethics type interviews vs MMI & Acting format, so I'm glad I got to see how people from Québec prepare for it. 

ps You can also contact me anytime too if I forget, or if you want to prep / talk about it !