Premed 101 Forums

Finally arrived!

Guest Beth

Guest UWOMED2005

My year interviews were done by region/university. Attending a University in NS, I had my interviews the last weekend - I think the McGill students interviewed that day as well. Seeing as we have students from Dal, St. FX, Mt A, and King's in my class, I don't think there was any bias against us. And I don't think this was the case last year. . . at least the Nova Scotians didn't all interview that last weekend.

Guest DixielandDelight

I just thought I would let everyone know about a strange situation that has happened...

I received an interview invite to Western - (yay!) :D

but, as I was doing some gpa calculations and looking at the cutoffs, I realized that it is mathematically impossible for me to end up with a 3.7 overall gpa - (boo!) :(

So... I had to turn down the interview (I can't believe I just turned down an interview!) because even if I did get accepted, it would be conditional as per getting the cutoff gpa.

Well I guess I can just be appreciative that I got an interview, but this really sucks.

On the bright side - at least this opens another spot (or lessens the competition) for one of you!? Best wishes.

At least I still have UofA and UofC... (maybe Mac?)

Dixie

Guest peachy

I'm curious why you would turn down the interview, even if you couldn't attend the school? Personally, I think that attending the interviews is worth it just for the practice.

Guest DixielandDelight

Well, I am still considering going, but it will cost me a lot of $$ to fly from Calgary to London, stay in a hotel etc.

It is also after my UofC interview - so I would not really be getting too much practice for the 'real thing', you know?

And this also might give a spot to someone else who actually has a chance...

But believe me , If it wasn't for the $$ I would go anyway!

Guest lcloh

Hmm... ??? Are you sure you calculated your own GPA correctly - if you received an interview invite, then that usually means... hmm... maybe you should call the admissions office?

Guest DixielandDelight

I know, I keep trying to think of ways around it, but Darla from the admissions office confirmed that if I did get in, it would be conditional on getting that cutoff gpa this year (which I can't because I am done my degree early and I haven't needed to take a full course load this semester to finish my requirements.)

So because I am not taking 5 FCEs I am rejected on that part too. Stupid me, I guess I should have just taken a few dummy courses to fill up my course load.

Oh well

Dixie

Hi DixielandDelight,

Not to step on anyone's toes (especially our wonderful volunteer moderators) but my friend was in a similar situation last year. She got a conditional acceptance, but it did not indicate that she needed the cut-off (3.65 last year, I think) but rather to maintain an overall 3.5 which she didn't have. After negotiating with some profs, she made it and I believe is currently at UWO. So never give up hope! I know it can be expensive (I am flying to Calgary from T.O.!) but if it offers even a glimpse of hope towards going to medical school, why not? You already spent money applying to the schools, so what's another $450?;)

Good luck, whatever you decide. May Calgary and Alberta shine down upon you.:b

BJ

Guest hmsdread

Aneliz and TimmyMax can verify, but I'm pretty sure that your friend can't be at UWO. The cutoffs are strict - you MUST meet the GPA cutoff when all is said and done, or you won't get in, its that simple. Last year it was 3.65, and if you didn't have two years (best and last) at or above 3.65, your acceptance was rescinded. Yes, even if one was 3.64. The same thing will occur this year - two years (any two, not best and last) MUST be at or above 3.7.

Just wanted to clarify.

hmsdread

Sorry to raise any hopes unwittingly. Like I said, I believe this person IS at UWO, but I didn't know all the details of the situation. It is possible that this person did get the two years above the cut-off and also needed to maintain a decent average (i.e. 3.5) in their last year. I guess my feeling is that it wouldn't hurt to go, even just for the experience. It is sad that $ becomes such a huge obstacle, even at the interview stage. Anyone else think the financial aid letter in the interview package was a bit. . .strange? Then again, I thought Western was the school that published some shocking stats about the average family income going from $80,000 pre-deregulation to $160,000 post-deregulation. That's from high middle-class to very high middle-class! Huge jump!

Sorry for the tangent. Just thought it was neat. And good luck DixielandDelight, no matter what you decide.

BJ

Guest UWOMED2005

Unless the issue was a misunderstanding where your friend was thought they're OVERALL gpa had to be above 3.65 and it wasn't, or they thought you had to have two years plus the final year over 3.65, or they were able to negotiate a 3.65 GPA somehow??? that story is highly suspect. Sounds like there's probably some misunderstanding along those lines. The cutoffs are firm. . . and if Darla did say you would absolutely need to get >3.70 this year (as you only have one other year > 3.70) and you know for a 110% fact that you can't, you might be right not to shell out the $$ to come to the interview. Your choice.

On another note, there were rumours a couple of years back (my year) that one of the unsuccessful applicants was so disappointed with not getting in, that they told all friends and family they were accepted. . . even went so far as to renting a house in London, buying the books and equipment, even the class notes from the school photocopier. Supposedly, they kept the charade up until December. Not sure if this was true, but who knows?

Guest JSS02

The cutoffs are quite strict. I know someone who was accepted to UWO at the beginning of June but then lost his spot because he missed the minimum requirement, even though it wasn't by much...

Guest exhumedcorpse33

BCgirl,

Congrats on the invite! I was just wondering what part of the country you were from because I still anxiously waiting for word from Western.

Cheers

Archived