Premed 101 Forums

GPA in final decision

Guest DHP62

Hey all,

I know that UWO's final decision is based on a 25/25/50 formula.

I was wondering - what GPA is used in that 25% alloted to GPA?

For people with 2 years >3.7, is it:

- your overall GPA

- your best year

- average of the two years over 3.7

For people with 1 year >3.7 and are banking on this year for a 2nd, is it:

- your overall GPA, despite the fact that perhaps only one year may be over 3.7

- your best year i.e. the one over 3.7

I'm just unsure because the 'GPA' to get an interview can vary so much from person to person, so I wasn't sure how the final decision GPA worked.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks!

Guest therealcrackers

Your final marks will be ready about the 15th of May in most cases from undergraduate institutions. Letters of acceptance go out for the 31st of May. Your final marks will be forwarded to the appropriate institutions automatically (I think? Check with OMSAS about this), so that these may be included in the final calculation--they certainly are for people who have two years above the minimum already. This is new in the last two years; in my year, the final year GPA was REQUIRED to be above the cut-off to gain acceptance. There have been instances where someone's final year GPA was used to count as their "second" criterion year, and it was below the cut-off, so they did not satisfy the criteria and their acceptance was rescinded... As with the MCAT, having a GPA of the bare minimum does NOT give you a 0/25 score; probably 18-20+/25, and then on up from there. There is likely a calculation formula that the admissions committee used UNIFORMALLY to generate the score out of 25, but the mechanics of that are a closely guarded secret, no doubt.

The bigger concern for the final score IS the interview. It is worth more than the other two, and having a good interview is likely the chief reason for a given person's immediate acceptance, placement on the waiting list, or subsequent rejection. Good luck! Additional information will be forthcoming, ie. interview notices, etc. The next stage before the interview is not in your hands, but rest assured that it is in GOOD hands. Resting assured is a good thing, too... easier to nail that interview when you're well-rested.

Your final marks will be ready about the 15th of May in most cases from undergraduate institutions. Letters of acceptance go out for the 31st of May. Your final marks will be forwarded to the appropriate institutions automatically (I think? Check with OMSAS about this), so that these may be included in the final calculation

If I understand correctly, the GPA used in the 25% is one's TOTAL GPA, which includes this years marks.

Is this correct?

Thanks!

Guest therealcrackers

They MAY, it depends on the mechanics of the registrar's offices of the school involved. In terms of sending an acceptance letter, I'm not so sure (in thinking about it). In terms of your final acceptance, yes it WILL if your current year counts as one of the two years for the GPA criterion --- Aneliz or TimmyMax can probably fill you in better on this than I can...

Guest TimmyMax

Hey DHP62,

The answer to your question is that each of your two years is weighted separately to arrive at a "score" out of 25. In theory, this would mean that each year would be 12.5% of your total score (since 25% is GPA), but bear in mind that pretty much all of the applicants still in the pool at this point will have GPAs (3.7 and above) that are very similar, so I can't see how this would convey any serious advantage in terms of the final decision. Just to reiterate, your interview is worth 50% of your total score, which is by far the most significant factor in the ultimate decision for admission. My advice thus is to concentrate on demonstrating to the adcom why they would want you at UWO for your medical education.

And then you can play on the meds intramural ice hockey team and tear up the league! Go Flatliners, Go!!!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Archived