Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invitations

Guest Emila

Guest UWOMED2005

I'm not exactly sure, but it should be "relatively" soon. I think I heard the first week of March as a potential mailing or arrival date. . . that's about when I received my invite two years ago.

Better to put it out of your mind - it will come when it comes. But if, and you may already know this, you take a look at the cutoffs (they're posted in this forum) you should be able to figure it out now whether you'll be interviewed.

Good Luck!

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Invites went out last month. Didn't you get one?

Just kidding. ;) They haven't gone out yet. Aneliz or I will let you know when they do. Until then, please visit our fun-filled websites!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Thanks for all your helpful comments :)

I got interview invites for Ottawa and Queens on monday so

I'm getting anxious to hear from the other schools. I can't stand the waiting!!

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Hey guyz,

not sure whether interview invites went out as yet, but I received the lovely rejection letter yesterday. Guess I'm out of this particular applicant pool, but wish all of you still in there tons of luck. My sis is med 3 at UWO, and really enjoyed her time there.

~JZ

Hi guys,

I have no idea if things have gone out yet...the rejection letters may have but I don't *think* that the invites have been mailed yet...Tim and I have a meeting with Darla tomorrow morning so we will find out for you....

Reasons why I don't believe that invites are out yet:

1. Darla was on vacation last week, which means that relatively little was done on the admissions front last week....

2. Historically, the student admissions reps get to include a letter, information about interview weekend activities, etc with the invites...and we don't even have our meeting with Darla about this until tomorrow morning....

So, the rejections may have been mailed...because that is a pretty easy mailing to do given that it is based entirely on whether you made the cuts....but I don't think that the invites are out yet...it is pretty early given when they usually arrive in mailboxes....(early March)

Sorry for the bad news for those that were unlucky enough to get the early mailing....don't forget that you can always try again...cut-offs change every year. There are plenty of people in the 2006 class that applied multiple times.

Here's exactly what I received in response to my inquiry to UWO med admissions:

Our interview letters were mailed out on Friday.

D. McNeil

Manager

Admissions/Student & Equity Affairs

Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry

The University of Western Ontario

I just got off the phone with the admissions office. The person who I spoke too, which I am assuming was Darla, said that invitations would not be out until the end of the month. Hope this eases some anxiety!! :)

Well Lisa,

Either way, if you still have not received any news from UWO then I would consider yourself lucky. Given that some rejections letters have been received, the good 'ole saying, "no news is good news" applies in this case.

Sit tight - they'll arrive soon enough.

PD

Still waiting, too.

Hi Lisa....it is weird that we received different stories from the admissions office. I think that PDSP is right, no news is good news. Hopefully we will hear soon!!

To clear up the confusion:

INTERVIEW INVITES HAVE NOT BEEN SENT YET. They will not be sent for at least two more weeks....so sit back and relax.

REJECTIONS were sent out on Friday.

This information comes directly from Darla.

The e-mail that you got on Friday, although signed by Darla didn't come from Darla because she was on vacation last week. It was answered by somebody else in the office that was looking after the admissions e-mail while she was gone. There was obviously some confusion in the office as to what had actually been sent last week. We apologise for the confusion.....

Guest UWOMED2005

Once again, I will repeat - if you made the cutoffs for MCAT and GPA, are a Canadian Citizen, and have no outstanding reason why western shouldn't accept you, you should be receiving an interview invitation.

Everybody that applied should receive either an invite or a rejection by mid-March...if you don't call the office. If you don't get what you think you should be getting given your GPA and MCAT, call the office. Things can go missing in the mail and there are occasional screw-ups as well.

If you met the cut-offs (ALL of them!) you should expect an invite.

If you didn't meet ALL of the cut-offs, you will be getting a rejection...and the cut-offs are FIRM!

Meaning:

If you have an 8 in any MCAT section, that won't cut it....if you have a P in the WS, same deal....if you have a GPA less then 3.70, guess what??? (and no, 3.69444444 doesn't count).

It sucks, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. Not making the cuts doesn't make you a bad applicant...every school does their own thing and you may just get lucky somewhere else...and if you don't, there is no shame in re-applying. Many of my classmates applied multiple times before getting in!

Good luck!

Guest therealcrackers

Hmmmmm... Peter..... can I take that application out in the back and toy with it for a little while? :evil Maybe we can smudge the ink and reverse the 4 and the 5 in that horrendously long decimal on yer GPA... THEN you'd get an interview! :rollin :rollin :rollin (All other things being equal)

Sigh............ the problem with firm cut-offs is that they are arbitrary.

The problem with more flexible cut-offs is that the process would never end...

I suspect the admissions committee deliberately chose a number that is divisible by 0.05 simply to avoid the confusion and endless discussions over single mark raises that might change a GPA from 3.66 to a 3.67 (if that was the cut-off), and prevent some considerable hand-wringing on the part of both applicants and departmental secretaries across the country...

The good thing about firm cut-offs is that it is transparent and fair. The good thing about flexible cut-offs is that more people would get interviewed. In a perfect world, everyone who applied would get an interview. Logistical constraints on timing, space, and available interviewers make this impossible. So in an imperfect world, this is the strategy chosen. For the most part it works. Sadly, it matters more when it doesn't work in your favour. For that, my condolences and apologies... and good luck with your other and/or future applications.

Guest MayFlower1

threalcrackers...

I was just joking about my WPGA...it's actually 3.73...thankfully I'm not in the "rounding error" part of the pool. I thank my self for working my hardest during university.

I absolutely agree that a hard cutoff is unfortunate if you are close, however, it's much better than a subjective, ever-moving, target.

Peter

Archived