Premed 101 Forums

Waiting List

Guest drspd

Guest drspd

Hi,

Is anyone else here on the Western Waiting list? Does anyone know any info about it? Western is very secretive about the number of people on the list and approximately how many people from that list make it in.

Any info would be great! thanks!

Mike

Guest Random

Hi,

There's not much you can do with the UWO waitlist. They put everyone on it who wasn't offered an outright acceptance; furthermore, they won't tell anyone what their position is.

From what I've heard, they offer about 150 initial offers for the 103.

After that they go into the waitlist. The class of 2002, based on a survey, had 30 people in their class of 96 from the waitlist.

I don't know if that's supposed to be a good or bad thing.

Finally, the new seats have yet to be allocated. Maybe UWO will pick up a bunch of extra spots and there will be some good movement.

Best of luck.

Guest drspd

I inquired with admissions yesterday and they told me that they only offered 103 acceptances for their 103 positions this year. This is in contrast to other schools which offer significantly more acceptances (i.e. McMaster - 180 acceptances for their spots). From what I understand, the waiting list is at maximum 100 applicants long (I don't see how they could justify it being any longer).

Thanks for the info!

DRSPD

Guest Random

Thank you for the information regarding the waitlist.

Did you speak with Barbara in the admissions office?

I haven't bothered calling b/c I know they get pissed off easily. I'm very surprised to hear that they only sent out 103 initial acceptances.

Based on previous years, they usually compensate and send out more b/c people have multiple offers.

I am pretty sure, however, that they waitlist everyone - no-one has yet to ever receive an actual rejection letter from UWO over the years.

If you could, just provide the name of whom you spoke with in admissions.

Thanx a lot for your input and best of luck.

Hi everyone, just keep in mind that Western (or the other 4 Ontario schools, for that matter) have NOT yet allocated the 80 new spots added across the province for the coming year... that, combined with the normal waitlist movement as people with multiple acceptances make decision, should give many of us a good chance to get in somewhere. Good luck!

Guest drspd

I e-mailed Barbara.

Nobody recieves a rejection from Western?? Really?? That would make the waiting list pointless, no?

Best regards,

DRSPD

Guest suovren

Not pointless from Western's viewpoint. A few years back, there were rumours of Western exhausting its entire waitlist and having to then call people they rejected.

I think of Ottawa's policy of offering two types of waitlist letters is a much more considerate way to go.

Guest Random

Suovren is totally right. Western does not reject anymore b/c of that incident (there were apparently some unique circumstances behind it).

As a result, everyone not offered an outright acceptance is RANKED on the waitlist. For those at the bottom, they have it worst.

They might as well tell us now if it's not happenning. That way people can get on with their summers etc.

Best of luck

Guest Random

Wow,

So if only 103 initial offers were sent out, there is some hope that the waitlist will move a bit.

We'll see what happens in two-three weeks.

Good luck

Guest Random

I believe that the Dean of Queen's, in a medical newsletter (posted on this site through a link), accepted 10 of those 80 new spots for the 2001 class.

So I guess that means that 70 will be spread to the remaining four.

In what ratio remains the question.

Guest drspd

UofT will undoubtedly recieve the most new positions as they have the greatest means of accomodating a larger class.

McMaster will recieve students in groups of 8, and will probably be limited to 8 positions because they will need to hire another faculty member to facilitate every group of 8.

If Queens is accepting 10, Mac is accepting 8, that leavs 62 to be allocated to UofT, Ottawa, and Western. UofT should take approximately 30-50 of the spots, leaving 12-32 for Western and Ottawa. Thus, the numbers Western could recieve (if the remainder is split evenly) should be about 5 - 16. Not too many, but if you're on the waiting list and you're one of those, you'll be really happy:)

Do you guys know when the government is to release the spot allocations?

Best regards,

DRSPD

Guest drspd

I'm a little upset about the extent of the waiting list at Western. Wow, talk about false hope. I still can't believe they would put 300 people on their waiting list (400 interviewed, 103 recieved acceptances)? It doesn't make sense? Do they send you rejection letters at all? i.e. when UofT fills its class it sends out rejections to everyone else on the waiting list.

Best regards,

DRSPD

This is all rumour, but on another forum a Western student posted that their class is going up to 118 spots "unofficially". Also, I heard that UT is not interested in taking any of the new spots. Although this is also a rumour.

Hope this helps.

Guest Random

Hi there,

I'm wondering if you could tell me which forum that is.

I'm very interested to find out the very same information.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Random

Thanks AZ,

It seems like that 118 number is an unofficial one (the person who posted even said so).

Guess we'll all have to wait to see what happens in a couple of weeks.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Random

Tomorrow, June 18th, is when round two starts.

I hear that 30 letters are going out.

Let's cross our fingers and hope for good news.

Guest Random

The source:

A 4th year at UWO who happened to be passing by admissions and had a casual conversation with the admissions secretary.

I was puzzled by the letters myself.

Take it with a grain of salt.

Peace

Archived