Premed 101 Forums

WESTERN GPA Cut off

Guest funkflex00

Guest funkflex00

I have a question...

After reading Western's website information, I was still unsure as to whether the minimum GPA they require is based on an average of your last year and next best year, or if you must attain the minimum in each of the two years you choose.

If someone can clear this up that would be great.

Thanks.

Guest Ian Wong

Almost certainly you would need to meet the minimum GPA cut-off for each year. When I read it, that's my interpretation, and I think it makes sense, because you want someone who has consistency in their transcript. Otherwise, it would be rather easy to rig a single superb GPA year by filling your transcript with easy bird courses.

Hopefully someone in Western meds can help clear this up for you, but I would work under that assumption. If this is a sticking point for you, then you should contact the medical school to clarify the point, make them aware that perhaps they should re-word their website to make it more clear.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

I believe this is how it works: you must achieve the minimum GPA in at least one year (excluding the current one, since it isn't finished) as well as the minimum MCAT scores to receive an interview. The minimum cutoffs change slightly each year depending on the pool of applicants.

After the interview, they select 118 (or whatever) students for their class using 25% GPA, 25% MCAT (VR and WS only), and 50% interview. However, at this point they don't know your marks for the current year. You must send OMSAS your transcripts for the current year by June 15th or June 30th (don't remember exactly when). If the GPA in your final year also meets the cutoff, then you retain the acceptance. Otherwise, it is rescinded and given to someone else (ouch).

• 1 month later...
Guest please answer soon

okay the other guy wrote that Western just looks at VR and WS, SINCE WHEN!!!!!

what does that mean?? that the BS and P sections don't matter??? They post cut-offs for these sections so I need some help understanding this.

thanks

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I just checked the Western site re: MCAT requirements and they are the following:

1. Must attain a minimum of: 8 VR, 8 PS, 8 BS, P WS

2. Must attain combined sums of 18 for PS + BS and 21 for VR + WS- VR score at face value + scaled WS score (J=4, T=14; example- P=10, S=13, etc.)

Check www.med.uwo.ca/admiss/adm2001.htm#MCAT for verification.

Yes, it does seem unusual, I have to agree. Hopefully these requirements don't move too significantly for the coming year.

Best of luck!

Timmy

I meant that Western doesn't take your MCAT science scores into their final decision. Yes, you DO need to meet their cutoffs to get an interview (at least 8 in BS and PS, and 18 total between them), but once you do get an interview, having a 15 in BS isn't going to help you compared to if you had a 9, for instance. Best of luck.

Archived