Premed 101 Forums

Fianancing your education.

Guest Braces2005

Guest Braces2005

Hi,

Does anyone know which bank has the best plan for dental students?

And how are you guys financing your education?

Thanks

Guest sensodyne

I went with RBC. you can get 150,000 over 4 years with no limit for each of those years. you also get free transactions and 12 free drafts/money orders. the best part is that you can get an Avion Platinum card that has a great rewards program. If you live in the lower mainland, you can PM me for the number for the RBC rep that manages all the accounts for med and dent students.

Guest Braces2005

Adversary I received your pm. thank you..

Thanks sensodyne but I'm from Markham, Ontario. But I guess I'll see you at Western.

Guest jugule

Hello sensodyne,

Did you already apply for the LOC at RBC? Did you get 150000 at prime rate? I applied for LOC at RBC and I got my loan approved. But I only got 120000 and I only can use certain amount per year. There is limit on how much I can use per year. I remember from this forum that it is easy to get 150000 with acceptace letter to dentistry and there is no limit how much you can spend per year. Any comments would be really appreciated.

Guest orlinmyer

RBC will give you 150000 with no spending restrictions at prime, as long as you have decent credit right now and have shown them your acceptance letter. If you have good credit, then talk to some one else "higher up" at RBC because, as with my experience, some of the lower down bankers do not understand the program very well.

www.rbcroyalbank.com/RBC:.../plan.html

You have to mention that this is for Medical and Dental students ONLY.

Don't let them put you into a LOC (line of credit) under the "Student LOC with professional designations" this is for Chiropractic, Vet. Med., etc.

Also, apply for the Visa Platinum Avion, especially if the double points offer comes by in the next month.

Guest sensodyne

Jugule, you have a PM.

I forgot to mention that for my LOC, my interest rate a year after graduation will still be at prime. Some banks will actually charge you prime + X for the repayment period. Don't settle for anything less than prime.

oh and the rep I saw told me that if I ever happen to need more than the 150K I got, I should come and see her (not that I ever want to put myself in that situation).

Guest Adversary

opnbsp, you can get more than $150,000. However, whatever above 150K requires a cosign. For most dental schools, you can get through with 150K. At UBC, that's not the case, but with max student loans, you should get through. Also, have you considered getting another LOC with another bank?

Archived