Premed 101 Forums

Fellowship in Ontario after Out-of-Prov IM Residency

Can folks who did their core IM training outside of Ontario comment on the ease, requirements, recommendations for returning to Ontario for fellowship? I'm currently thinking GIM, but regardless, I'm looking for advice on how to maximize odds of matching (eg research? electives? any tips) in Ontario afterward. Thank you.

16 hours ago, thuls.m said:

Can folks who did their core IM training outside of Ontario comment on the ease, requirements, recommendations for returning to Ontario for fellowship? I'm currently thinking GIM, but regardless, I'm looking for advice on how to maximize odds of matching (eg research? electives? any tips) in Ontario afterward. Thank you.

Depends on how flexible you are and which sub-specialty you want to do (I know a crappy answer, sorry ahha). Electives at the site you want are always key (just like CaRMS 1.0). Research is important more important for certain sub-specialties and certain locations more than others.

If your goal is to to match to Ontario, then apply to ALL 5 of the Ontario schools (Ottawa, Queens, UofT, Mac, Western) for the sub-specialty you want, and try to do electives in a few different spots (really hard to do in residency given you only have limited out of school elective time and each elective is usually 4 weeks). If you want GIM, then that'll help with your odds given it usually a larger program relative to others (i.e. more spots per school). Another larger program is Critical Care.

Alternatively if you wish for a different subspecialty, you can apply to that and back up with GIM which will also increase the programs you are applying to, the drawback is that you probably wont be able to do electives in both specialties at multiple schools, and therefore run the risk of making yourself less competitive for which ever specialty you actually want.

1 hour ago, ACHQ said:

Depends on how flexible you are and which sub-specialty you want to do (I know a crappy answer, sorry ahha). Electives at the site you want are always key (just like CaRMS 1.0). Research is important more important for certain sub-specialties and certain locations more than others.

If your goal is to to match to Ontario, then apply to ALL 5 of the Ontario schools (Ottawa, Queens, UofT, Mac, Western) for the sub-specialty you want, and try to do electives in a few different spots (really hard to do in residency given you only have limited out of school elective time and each elective is usually 4 weeks). If you want GIM, then that'll help with your odds given it usually a larger program relative to others (i.e. more spots per school). Another larger program is Critical Care.

Alternatively if you wish for a different subspecialty, you can apply to that and back up with GIM which will also increase the programs you are applying to, the drawback is that you probably wont be able to do electives in both specialties at multiple schools, and therefore run the risk of making yourself less competitive for which ever specialty you actually want.

Would you be able to speak to which sub-specialties are more research heavy and which aren't? I'm doing my core residency in Ontario and also want to do my fellowship in Ontario. Thanks!

19 hours ago, sterntaler said:

Would you be able to speak to which sub-specialties are more research heavy and which aren't? I'm doing my core residency in Ontario and also want to do my fellowship in Ontario. Thanks!

I mean tbh if you are going for a specialty and want to maximize your chances in that research will only help you out. I don’t see a scenario where it can hurt you. 

if you are doing your core training in Ontario this is a plus. You will have to decide however whether staying in Ontario is more important or your specialty of choice more important to you. If ultimately you don’t care about doing GIM vs (insert subspecialty here) then you can always just do the 4 year GIM and guarantee you’ll be staying in ON.

23 hours ago, ACHQ said:

Thank you so much for the detailed answer! I believe we're given 3 "electives" which can include out-of-town electives, or various teaching and emergency med electives. I could always do atleast 2, if not all 3 in Ontario! 

From what I understand, I'd have to apply for these nearly a year in advance and get CPSO registration too, is that right? 

18 hours ago, thuls.m said:

Thank you so much for the detailed answer! I believe we're given 3 "electives" which can include out-of-town electives, or various teaching and emergency med electives. I could always do atleast 2, if not all 3 in Ontario! 

From what I understand, I'd have to apply for these nearly a year in advance and get CPSO registration too, is that right? 

Are you doing your core IM outside of ON? I'm assuming so based on the fact that you have to apply for CPSO hahaha, but yes apply ASAP to CPSO they take forever sometimes.

On 6/4/2021 at 10:43 AM, ACHQ said:

Are you doing your core IM outside of ON? I'm assuming so based on the fact that you have to apply for CPSO hahaha, but yes apply ASAP to CPSO they take forever sometimes.

Yes haha! Core IM outside Ontario with the goal of returning for fellowship. I will look into registering for CPSO asap, I had thought we needed to be enrolled in a training program first in order to be able to sign up. Thank you!