Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Dental

Hey! Fellow UofA applicant here.

I can only comment on the UofA program. I’ve been following the admission stats since ~2016. 

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone accepted with a GPA of lower than 3.7. That being said though, UofA admissions are changing this year to a more med school-style admission where life experience counts! I would say it would be worth it to apply this year to see what happens, as there is literally no precedent of what they will accept. I think you would need to have an amazing DAT score though. If it doesn’t work out this year, I would definitely go with the GPA boosting.

Alternatively, you can sit back and watch how this application cycle unfolds and watch the precedent be set before you decide.

Briefly on other Canadian schools: most preferentially accept their own residents so your chances are much lower outside Alberta. You pretty much need to be the best of the best on all aspects of your application. I think USask recently started allowing slightly more OOP (better chances) but you pay a much higher tuition. Don’t hold me to this one though. I did super brief research last summer. 

Feel free to message me if you’d like! I’m a similar situation as a “lower GPA” (what a joke) applicant. I did my BSc and then a year of GPA boosting (hopefully another coming up here) so I know the GPA boosting life and the pressure of needing an amazing DAT score. Don’t count yourself out quite yet :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lovecoffee

I am actually in the same exact situation as you.  I have been working as an RDH for over 12 years I have decided to pursue dentistry I would love to get in contact with you let me know if you are interested in connecting? I am also someone with a lower GPA however I did not complete my degree full time as I was working and have had two kids in between all this. I am out in BC and due to family I want to stay in province so UBC is where I need to desperately get into. 

• Lovecoffee changed the title to Canadian Dental