Premed 101 Forums

US Citizens Accepted to U of T

What did your applications look like / what is required to get in? I believe I have a profile competitive for T20 US MDs (3.95+, 522+, good EC's), but it seems like Canadian schools really don't take very many US Citizens (I don't have any Canadian citizenship).

Would love to hear other's thoughts. Thanks so much!

• 2 months later...

So with stats like those, and the hundreds (literally) of medical school options in the States, you want to apply to arguably the most competitive Canadian school? Why? Just apply in the states, get into a good school, life will be easier. I don't really see the purpose of you trying to gun for UofT as an international applicant when you have so many viable options with strong stats like yours. 

Would agree with the above poster. Your stats would make you very competitive for T20 schools, with a good shot at the big names like Harvard/Stanford/JHU if you so desire. 
UofT is an excellent school, but not sure why you’d want to apply when your tuition as an international student would be an absurd $91,000/year. Not to mention you probably have a better shot at T20 schools than UofT because (1) your excellent MCAT score won’t matter since UofT just has a cutoff of 499 for applicants and doesn’t care beyond that (2) a lot of the extracurriculars you have probably done to apply to US schools like clinical shadowing mean jack squat in Canada (3) UofT uses the OMSAS scale which means that only A+ counts as a 4.0 and an A is a 3.9 which will likely reduce your GPA when calculated (4) you’re an international applicant so you are competing with a large pool of people for very few spots and unlike other international applicants who may have done an undergrad at UofT or lived in Toronto, you may not have as convincing of a story as to why you want to study here.